Onboard active bass preamp?

Started by Benjamin, January 26, 2005, 05:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Benjamin

I saw Alfreds around earlier, I am wondering if anyone else has schematics out there. I'd love to try to make a vol/blend/stacked bass/treble preamp, but that might just be too much.

thanks

Ben

SirPoonga

I was thinking of that too.  I was thinking of converting my pbass to active pickups using some of the wiring found here.http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/support/schematics.shtml

Paul Marossy

I have a Jackson preamp installed on my Jackson/Charvel bass. It's got a volume control and hi/low tone controls. There was one for sale on ebay the other day, but it's gone now.  Anyhow, it's a decent preamp circuit that uses an LF442 opamp.

lethargytartare

This must just be a bassist thing...these guitarists just don't think in terms of onboard preamps I guess  :)   I know there's enough info out there to whip up a nice 3 band onboard preamp (ala stingray, or fender jazz deluxe), and then you could set up the pots however you wanted.  But I can never quite connect the dots...and I don't know where I'd start even if I had the time to attempt to tackle this issue on my own -- I guess I'd try to build a tone stack, plug it into a bread board, and then try different things like the simple preamps out there, or buffers, etc.  It'd be chaotic hit-or-miss...but I feel like it's a bigger deal for bassists, and the bass stuff here is mostly "tweak these values in this guitar circuit."

Some guys are working on it...hopefully somebody will find something that really clicks.

ltt

thumposaurus

One of the Craig Anderton books has a section on designing your own onboard preamp to suit your needs from the ground up. I'd look it up and give you some more info but all my books are packed and in storeage in preperations for moving. Maybe take a look at the local public library.
Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

markusw

You might want to have a look at http://diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=33100. I reverse engineered a Bartolini NTMB onboard preamp which is a nice sounding unit, although it has a three band tone control. Maybe you can get an idea for designing a 2-band version.

Markus

lethargytartare

I /just/ saw your schem for the bart pre -- wow!  Thanks man!  I hope I can start working on that soon!