New Gar Gillies amp book

Started by Mark Hammer, January 27, 2005, 12:58:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

The Garnet website has an announcement about a new book on amps (tubes I imagine) by the Winnipeg grandad his self, Gar Gillies - http://www.garnetamps.com/book_02.htm

This is the guy who gave us the Herzog, among other things.  As someone who has no line of amps to market, and minimal interest in increasing business much, you can expect a book like this to be based on years of experience, and chock full of wisdom and common sense, with self-promoting BS kept to a blessed minimum.  Guys like Dave Torres or Gerald Weber are certainly no slouches, but occasionally, it gets hard to know where the commercials end, and the expertise begins with folks who want to sell you stuff.  Gar is blessedly past all that now.  Haven't seen it but it could be every bit as good, if not better than, Kevin O'Connor's books.

puretube

Hello Mark,
whom did you expect first to jump on this thread and say THANKs for the tip?
:D

BDuguay

That book needs to find a home on my book shelf. Books on guitar stuff are cool. Mark Hammer is cool.
Cool.
B.

object88

Indeed; I'm a big fan of tube amps, and would love to read this new book.  And speaking of tube amp books, I can highly recommend Kevin O'Conner's books.  Yes, he does have a line of amps to market, but I've found his books to be amazingly informative and clear, and very light on self-promotion.

Speaking of books, does anyone have a reommendations for DIY effect books?  I have Craig Anderton's Electronic Projects For Musicians... what else is worth picking up?

Thanks!