News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

boss cs-1

Started by michael_krell, January 28, 2005, 12:04:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

michael_krell

I have a CS-1 that I just got and im not quite sure if its working right. It works fine on bypass. I had to pop in a new electrolytic at the switch because the switch wasnt working very well. But the real problem is the pedal sounds very very compressed without a lot of range

there is a level pot which works fine and a sustain knob that has very little range. It almost seems that its stuck all the way up and turning it only changes the sound a little.

let me know what you think

MartyMart

Hi Michael,
that doesn't sound right ! the sustain pot should have a good range from almost "off"  to "quite squashed" at the top end. ( I have one )
Could be just a bad pot, or further problems inside . . . . .
Good luck with it,
Marty. 8)
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

michael_krell

hmmmmm good diagnosis. Does anyone have any less obvious opinions?

MartyMart

Sorry if that sounded "obvious" but I don't have a schem, nor the time to rip mine apart and trace it out.
9 times out of 10 it's the most "obvious" thing that is wrong.
Why dont you check the pots resistance is correct ?

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

jplaudio

The CS-1 has a fairly low threshold so high output pickups start compression sooner than a low out put PU. Try lowering the volume on the guitar to see if you can get better results. You can alter the threshold to obtain less compression at lower settings. The second revision pedals have a higher threshold setting than the first rev. design.

michael_krell

So do you think active pickups would effect the operation?

also what is an opto couple?

jplaudio

Yep  :D  active pickups are generally high output.
You mean an optocoupler?
An optocoupler or Optoisolator is a combination of LED and  a Photosensor. The input signal is applied to the LED . The light transmitted by the LED is picked up by the photosensor and converted  back to an electrical signal. The photosensor output can be a diode,transistor,FET,logic gate, or variable resistance. The application will determine what type of optoisolator to use. Audio applications like compressors use analog optoisolators that convert the light to a variable resistance.

michael_krell

Thats pretty darn cool. The CS-1 uses an HTV one. i waws thinking those might be bad but i dont think so. i lowered the output on my guitar and there was a signifigant change, but its still kinda wierd. Do you think this is a common thing with these pedals? i mean it sounds good and all, but it sounds more like an effect than an actual compressor.

michael_krell

I tried the pedal out with anoter guitar with passive pickups and it did the same exact thing it did with my other guitar. Do you think that this is an IC on transistor problem? i replaced the electrolytic caps because the switching circuit wasnt working correctly. I replaced them all because i thought they were all dried out maybe. Let me know

toneman

"the obvious"
get a brand new battery.
don't just *assume* batt is good.
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

michael_krell

I will try that, if i dont reply again immediately then it did nothing.

michael_krell

new battery creates no difference. it seems like there is way too much attack. Like when you hit the string very hard it just decreases the gain ALOT.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: michael_krellnew battery creates no difference. it seems like there is way too much attack. Like when you hit the string very hard it just decreases the gain ALOT.
It might be that when you replaced the electros, you got one wrong, or not soldered in properly.
Because, if the rectifier stage that generates the compressor control signal lacks it's filtering electro, or has too small a value, then it mght behave this way.
(I could be wrong, I don't have one of these & i havn't seen the circuit.)

jplaudio

Quote from: michael_krellnew battery creates no difference. it seems like there is way too much attack. Like when you hit the string very hard it just decreases the gain ALOT.
Sounds like a CS-1 :D
Do you have the first version or the second?
You can raise the threshold of compression by changing a resistor value.
Look on the board next to PH1. If the resistor there is a 4.7k you have the first version circuit. If it is a 10k you have the 2nd version. TRy a higher value resistor in that position to raise the threshold. Maybe a 22k or 27k.
There is a 1uf/4.7uf electrolytic cap next to PH2. You can try substituting a larger value to increase the attack/release time. Some of the older Cs-1's have a noticeable ripple on low notes that can be fixed by replacing or increasing the value of this cap. I wouldn't go above 10uf for guitar.

michael_krell

I have a 10k there so it looks like i have the second version. I am goign to try playing around with that resistor and cap to try and get a desirable sound. Thanks alot.

michael_krell

wouldnt a smaller cap lower the release time???

michael_krell

I changed the cap from 4.7 to 10uF and it sounds like it made a difference but it still does not sound right. What IC does this thing use? It sounds like this is a normal thing with these compressors. If this is the way its supposed to sound then ill just sell it as is.....

jplaudio

Quote from: michael_krellwouldnt a smaller cap lower the release time???
Yes.
It sounds like you have a normal CS-1. The only way to sure what you are hearing is normal is to A-B the pedal with a known good CS-1

michael_krell

Thanks I guess that is as good as IM going to get, maybe ill put a different cap in again because that actually seemed to help a bit..