Russian compressor etc

Started by StephenGiles, January 28, 2005, 05:53:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenGiles

"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

jrc4558

Here's the translation:
This effect works decent, even with shitty guitars. It has smooth adjustment between a compression and clipping-limiting (ambiguity between two possible translations), an effective gate, and an effect of soft attack of a sound.

In my prototype the post-clip tone shaping is done by a circuit resembling a wah-wah, however, it is possible to apply a parametrical equalizer to form a desired timbre, or to use flanger in a mode of the comb filter.  

The gate is not noticeable at all for the musician, does not prevent attack of a sound and shuts the audio signal completely off as soon as the signal of a guitar becomes lower than the noise level. I estimate the suppression to be not less than 60 Db. It can also work in a mode of soft attack.  

All this, and as the six-channel pickup with separate fuzz circuit on each string (it is possible to play chords), and active tone controls are installed directly in my guitar. I can share this technology.

jrc4558

this portion is located below the picture on the page

The scheme has no special discoveries: the logarithmic amplifier around the OpAmp, the detector of the compressor under the scheme of the doubling, a managing element of the compressor on VT3 with indemnification of nonlinear distortions of a key. The detector of a gate works on a mid-frequency component of a signal, practically instantly reacting on the first pluck of strings, and at attenuation of a signal of below certain level slams all channel without ripple of a sound (due to a hysteresis of its levels of operation and release). It is executed under scheme GLIN on the transistor with high hfe (500-1000). The key on VT1 - actually the managing element of a gate similar compressor, VT4 just also creates a hysteresis of the whole channel. Soft attack turns out at increase in a constant of time R10 R13/C6. In the terminator diodes with the "cubic" characteristic are applied. In general, that all beautifully sounded, it is possible to replace some details with others only representing as it works. Therefore I shall list features:
1. The choice 140УД7(Russian part#) is caused by its small noise at such resistance a source of a signal as at a guitar, and the main thing - at high factor of amplification at it a well defined resonance which can be moved change C7, it forms a timbre of attack of a sound, allocating subtleties of picking and limits a strip of frequencies from below (a background of 50 Hz and so on), the same properties are and at 140УД6, but on noise it is worse. A series 574,544 were not tried.
2. Types and letters of field transistors define parities of levels of the compressor, the terminator and a gate.
3. Diodes of envelope detection KD503 (in the best way), КД512, КД522, transistor KT342V or КТ3102 with as it is possible in the big factor of transfer, VD1-germanium.
4. R15 establishes sensitivity of operation of a gate.
5. The combination germanium VD4 and silicon VD5 gives the minimal threshold of the detector and the maximal parity of time of operation - release.
6. For stabilization of a level of a gate and duration of soft attack it is possible to include stabilitron Д818 between collector VT2 and weight.
7. In the scheme enough frequently meet mega ohm resistors, be close on values.
This is all, basically. Adjustments practically any if all is collected from the specified elements even without selection. R9 establishes the general sensitivity of system.

StephenGiles

Thanks Constantin, would the Tsar have approved I wonder? I found that Russian site very interesting, not knowing what the hell he was on about, but the schematics looked very good and well drawn.
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

jrc4558

Tzar - Shmar. Use it and enjoy.  8)  :lol:

Phorhas

Electron Pusher

StephenGiles

jrc4558

Uh... Dude! I was born there. I know who tzars were. However...
The last effective one was killed a little less than a century ago, God bless his soul. So I don't think he would disprove ar approve. As a matter of fact I don't think he would per se.  :lol:
Good luck with finding the equivalents of the russian parts though!