Rackmount Insane Gain - Switching Question

Started by El Dangerouso, January 28, 2005, 06:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Dangerouso

I was looking at Bennett Music Labs "Insane Gain", and I was liking the idea of the pedal, but I would really prefer the same thing in rack form. Bennett says that the thing is really just three EH LPB-1s in a row with true bypass on each. Well, the LPB-1's circuit is easy enough, but in a rack form, I would no longer be able to use the 3PDT stomp switches. Is there any way to control it remotely with a pedal like the Digitech FS300 and a TRS jack? Also, how difficult would it be to use MIDI with relays to control the circuit? This project may be well beyond my ability, ultimately, so quotes are also welcome.

The following links might help:
Insane Gain

LPB 1 circuit
If you chose not to decide, you still have made a choice. - Rush

donald stringer

If I have got this straight, 3 boosters cascaded/ each with a truebypass.You will have to acquire cabling to carry your signal per each switch...to your floor unit  Keep in mind that there is a better way to do it and I am operating on the knowledge that I posses. But you can do it with 4066 bilateral switch or maybe better 4016 [same pinout]...4049 inverter and some spdt footswitch [for a quick fix you can purchase these at radioshack] They have a neat little on common on switch that I have used myself . This can be done or you can go to geofex and seach for the remote switching pdf[it uses relays]  Draw your self a block diagram inorder to figure out the least amount of switching required to obtain your end result. I have a photobucket site with some diagrams on it that are pretty self explanatory, they desscribe the above methods. Those ideas bythe way I learned by studying geofex file/tonegods site/4066 data sheets.If you are interested and no else has a better idea I would be glad to help as much as possible. This is a visous hobby isnt it one learning curve leads to another.  Why wouldnt you be able to use the 3pdt[ again that would be just a matter of remoting the switches to a floor unit that would at least give you control bypassing the lpb [ that is adding them in or taking them out as your needs required. I am not familiar with midi though.
troublerat

El Dangerouso

I really appreciate the help, especially your offer for further assistance.  I have to admit, my electronics knowledge is pretty basic.  No problem wiring up a guitar, even with pretty complex pickup configurations, but that's about all I think I can really handle at this point.  In answer to your one question, I just meant that I couldn't use the three 3PDT switches on the box, they would have to be remoted.  I'll absolutely check out the links you suggested, altough my fear is I'll be like a pig staring at a wristwatch.  I'll post back one I check them out.  Thanks!
If you chose not to decide, you still have made a choice. - Rush