Uglyface schematics

Started by carrejans, January 29, 2005, 05:32:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

carrejans

hey,
I'm gonna try to build the Uglyface. The schematic I found at this page:
http://www.geocities.com/tpe123/folkurban/fuzz/snippets.html

But a long time ago I found a colour picture of the layout on the perfboard. It was at this site: http://www.runoffgroove.com/salvo.html

But now it's gone. Can anyone help me to find a perfboard layout.

thanks

strungout

"Displaying my ignorance for the whole world to teach".

"Taste can be acquired, like knowledge. What you find bitter, or can't understand, now, you might appreciate later. If you keep trying".

strungout

"Displaying my ignorance for the whole world to teach".

"Taste can be acquired, like knowledge. What you find bitter, or can't understand, now, you might appreciate later. If you keep trying".

carrejans

Thanks alot. That's just what I wanted.  :P

vfr800fiman

I'm also in the middle of this build myself, but I don't know where to get the Vactrol VTL5C3?
Anyone sell these things?
I'm stopped until I find one of these.
I think Perk and Elmer used to make them, right?
Thanks.
Glenn
What is the difference between mechanical engineers and civil
Engineers? Mechanical engineers build weapons and civil engineers
Build targets.

vfr800fiman

I forgot to mention that I'm building the Uglyface with the mod suggested by Strungout.

http://diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=29098&highlight=uglyface
Build targets.

jmasciswannabe

You can fet the vcl5c3 at small bear......i need a vcl5c2 and a mot of other things from there. ANyway, you can try using some parts from radioshack as mentioned in the homewrecker write up. I found the light but was having a problem finding the reciever. I ended up using a photocell or osmething and it didn't really work right. I finally finished my uglyface (using the  vcl5c3 I thought was broken) at around 230 this morning. It was actulaly the second time I built it and it worked this time. I hadn't worked with the perfboard before. Its a really fun pedal. BEst of luck with your build!
....the staircase had one too many steps

Joe Viau

As seen in current posts, Small Bear is down right now but they should be up at some point soon.

You can get the VTL5C3 from Allied Electronics.  They have this and other various opto-isolators.

http://www.alliedelec.com/Search/SearchResults.asp?SearchQuery=vtl5c3&Submit=find+it%21

HTH,
Joe

vfr800fiman

Thank you Joe.
I'll probably order from Allied.
Small Bear is loosing business ;-)
Glenn
Build targets.

aaronkessman

allied looks great because they have good prices on vactrols and stuff, but remember that their minimum order is $25....

vfr800fiman

Anyone ever try to build your own LFO using the Rat Shack photodetectors and the jumbo LED trick on Homewrecker.com?
I picked up the multi-pak at Rat Shack, but none of them comes close to the 2k-1M specifications of the "real" optoisolator. :(
Anyone had any success with this trick?
I've got the whole thing on breadboard, now I'm just waiting for this one component.
Hope Small Bear opens soon!
Glenn
Build targets.

RDV

I built mine with a superbright green LED and an LDR from a broken roadside barricade, and it works real good.

RDV

vfr800fiman

Sounds good, first I have to locate a broken roadside barricade  :o
I might have to swerve on the way home  :twisted:

Seriously, do the bright vs. dark resistance values have to be exact?
What happens if they are slightly different from the Vactrol specs?

Glenn
Build targets.

RDV

Quote from: vfr800fimanSounds good, first I have to locate a broken roadside barricade  :o
I might have to swerve on the way home  :twisted:

Seriously, do the bright vs. dark resistance values have to be exact?
What happens if they are slightly different from the Vactrol specs?

Glenn
I work for Hillsborough County FL Public Works, and most of our barricades come back with broken lights. The flasher circuit has two 2N4401 &  one 2N4403, some resistors & an LDR.

Your results may vary if the specs are different. With my homemade job, I may not get as deep of a sweep.

RDV

jimbob

Im in the same boat. Ill just wait for Steve to open this week. I was really suprised at the sound of the Uglyface.- I really like it. It good.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"