Multi-stage phasers

Started by StephenGiles, January 29, 2005, 11:50:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SeanCostello

If anyone here works with digital audio, I put a unit generator (phase1? I forget the name after all these years) in Csound, that is an allpass filter with N number of cascaded allpass stages, and the ability to have feedback around the whole network. N could go up to 4999, so you can experiment with INSANE numbers of phase shift stages.

From my experiments with the unit generator, larger numbers of phase shift stages do sound more like modulated delay lines. The group delay, however, starts to become more and more of a factor, so that the high frequencies come out before the low frequencies. When this is modulated, it can sound very cool.

Personally, I like the sound of a 6-stage network the best for "classic" phase shifting effects. 12 stages is useful for reggae phasing. Another good network: the Schulte Compact Phasing A pedal, with 8 phase shifting stages, but negative feedback around the first 2 stages only, which produces a single resonant peak in addition to the notches of the remaining phase shifting stages.

I am hoping to create some 1st order phase shifting objects for MAX/MSP in the next month or so. I would like to experiment with having phase shift networks in parallel (perhaps of different order), to get through-zero effects. I think "puretube" may have mentioned this in the past.

Sean Costello

puretube

yes - although I don`t want(-ed) to talk too loud about it...

your post reminds me of having to repair that ole orange Schulte-beast thats laying around in the basement with a rotten LFO...

P.S.: if you go parallell, try lead and lag mixed, with unequal amount of stages... and play with crossfeedback  :wink:

ExpAnonColin

(Comes out of lurking in England)

Who else wants to hear more about 4049's as VCR's?

-Colin

puretube

gimme all you got :lol:  - badstone?