Interesting schems

Started by MartyB, January 29, 2005, 11:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyB

This site may have been 'discovered' several times before by you guys, but this is the first I've seen it.

(SITE LINK DELETED BY MARTYB)

MartyB

Peter Snowberg

I've never seen  it before... Thanks. :D
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

RLBJR65

Never seen it either! I like all the old magazine articals. Some of the schems. posted look very familiar. Smart idea limiting downloads to 30 every week or so, probably keeps their site from getting slammed.

Thanks Marty!
Richard Boop

petemoore

WoW Marty, you sure found an "Archive Gem' there...interesting indeed...actual 'tone twister' [non-fuzz-generic] schematics.. :D
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Fret Wire

The article titled "Wah-Wah Pedal" (pdf), was written by none other than Steve Daniels of Small Bear.

Nice find Marty! 8)
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

R.G.

Like all archives of schemos, there are out-and-out copyright infringements there. I didn't go through them all, but one of Jack's is in there, with copyright notice and all. I didn't see any of mine.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Marcos - Munky

Quote from: Fret WireThe article titled "Wah-Wah Pedal" (pdf), was written by none other than Steve Daniels of Small Bear.

Not only the wah article, but a few articles have his name on them.

rocket

Of course any reprint of an articel may infringe somebody's copyright.
On the other the guy has obviously scanned a lot of old magazines that otherwise noone of us could ever read.  And I dont think a drawing of  an TS9 circuit really qualifys for copyright even though it say so.
And after all the site is nocommercial.

puretube

Quote from: rocket...I dont think a drawing of  an TS9 circuit really qualifys for copyright even though it say so.

o tempora, o mores  :shock:

R.G.

QuoteOf course any reprint of an articel may infringe somebody's copyright.
No, it absolutely certainly does.

The only question is whether they'll bother to come after the infringer with legal action. If they do, he's up for something like $10K in retainers to get a lawyer - of any stripe - to represent him if he's in the USA.

QuoteOn the other the guy has obviously scanned a lot of old magazines that otherwise noone of us could ever read.
Which has nothing whatsoever to do with the legal matters. I'm sure it's quite pleasant for someone to do that for you.

QuoteAnd I dont think a drawing of an TS9 circuit really qualifys for copyright even though it say so.
You may want to ask Jack Orman about that - it's his TS drawing. I think you are confusing patents and copyrights, so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

QuoteAnd after all the site is nocommercial.
(a) He wants you to pay him $5 a head for unlimited downloads. Izzat noncommercial?
(b) Even if it was noncommercial, the Digital Millenium Copyright Act provides for damages of $100,000 for a *first* **non-commercial** infringement of copyright under some circumstances. The old idea that non-commercial infringement produced no actions because it was noncriminal and with zero damages there was zero recovery no longer applies.
(c) I believe that the DMCA also makes infringement a criminal act; I have to check that one.

I'm not interested in discussing the ethics of the situation. Ethics are NOT like noses - not everyone has them. This is a matter of law, and the two are not equal.

So - you're saying that it's not a good idea to tell the guy how much trouble he can get into? That's better?
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Gus

R.G.   I am suprised you still post here.

Some people just don't get it.

I gave up.

R.G.

QuoteR.G. I am suprised you still post here.
Some people just don't get it.
I gave up.
I know, Gus, I know.

I probably should just bag it, like I have from the succession of usenet groups, and a number of forums along the way. I don't put up much new stuff anymore, for obvious reasons. But I still feel some compulsion to help beginners and intermediates over some of the hard parts.

And so far, this is the cleanest of the lot. Not very many grinning pottymouths and at least the "everything's freeeee!" crowd doesn't come out often. We'll see. It's lived longer than I thought it would as it is.

I'd guess the next phase is going to be invitation-only fora, no public mention and not indexed on search pages. It's a shame.
R.G.

Sic

Unfortunately with a place on the internet (multi-cultural)  guidelines and borders, where morals and laws come into play, are shaded.

I'm thankful to know that there are people out there who still feel it is necessary to be the person to stand up for what is right... even if that means getting crapped on.

It's difficult, because sometimes what is RIGHT and what is the LAW conflict.

I hope things don't go into a state where it is by invite only, because due to my low profile nature i don't think that i would be included.

lovekraft0

Quote from: R.G.I probably should just bag it, like I have from the succession of usenet groups, and a number of forums along the way. I don't put up much new stuff anymore, for obvious reasons. But I still feel some compulsion to help beginners and intermediates over some of the hard parts.
It's too bad that the Napster kids and their ilk have made so many of the long-time contributors to the DIY scene uncomfortable about participation at any level!

RG, I for one appreciate everything you've done, and I still have the original two transistor FF I built from the board I etched using your PNP resist patterns lo these many years ago  :)   - it's noisy and waay over the top, but it holds a special place in my heart, especially since it scared the other guitar player in that band so badly, he refused to play when I brought it to rehearsal - thanks for everything!!

rocket

But in MY opinion this is a hobbyist's forum thats mainly meant to be fun. I think this is not a place for legal discussions.
After all Jack can request the schematic to be deleted from the site.
If the owner of the site doesn't comply Jack can still make a comment here.

You are right about the 5$ subscribtion - I don't really see what you get for it.
I have always readily shared information like schematics without expecting anything for it.

And NOBODY EVER CALL ME NAPSTER KIDDIE !!!!!!

I have never ever downloaded MP3s or Movies nor do have any of  the required clients on my PC.

Aged 34 I also hardly qualify for being called kiddie.

puretube

Jack`s copyright is worth the same (namely to be protected!),
as that of R.G., Elektor, Popular Electronics, Ansil, Dragonfly, Paul Mc Cartney, you name`m - no matter be they "biggies" or not.

Alpha579

wouldnt it be great if everyone had respect for everyone else/there work or works? a world without infringing of laws and copyrights....ahh to dream...
Alex Fiddes

loscha

if we can't talk about copyright here
where so many of our members have been ripped off

where can we talk about it?

just in Australia, I know, or know of, some of the brightest lights in synthesizer and effects work. The two I know most of is Robin Whittle, and Paul Perry (frostwave). I'd hate to think that either of these guys have had their designs ripped off, but, it probably has, or will happen one day, which makes me a sad panda.

I've shared around schematics from major companies, Boss/Roland and Yamaha, for products they no longer intend supporting, but, if, for example, I reversed our Frostwave Blue Ringer, no way I'd be posting it on here, or to anyone.

Corporations exist to make money
Guys like Paul exist to pay their bills, and to make more cool stuff, and to do a service to the industry that they love,.
I don't personally know any of the US or UK guys who do their own pedals and seel them, but, I'm sure they are all just the same -- doing it because they feel they have to, and because they love it, not because they want to make money.
which part of sin theta plus index times sin theta times ratio do you need me to clarify to you?

R.G.

QuoteBut in MY opinion this is a hobbyist's forum thats mainly meant to be fun. I think this is not a place for legal discussions.
After all Jack can request the schematic to be deleted from the site.
If the owner of the site doesn't comply Jack can still make a comment here.
I think you miss my point - it's not a question of whether someone cut in front of me in line, or insulted my Significant Other, or told me that ma mama wears army boots - it is a question of civil and criminal law.

Jack can not only request the schemo to be eliminated from the site, he has legal grounds to sue, and to make a criminal complaint. Nothing spoils a fun old time like a court summons.

QuoteYou are right about the 5$ subscribtion - I don't really see what you get for it.
Whomever pays is paying for access to more (presumably) copyright infringing materials. It's the sale of infringing copyrighted materials. That much is quite clear from the description - $5 for removal of all download restrictions. Sounds pretty much like a for-profit deal to me.

QuoteI have always readily shared information like schematics without expecting anything for it.
And that is indeed non-commercial. But it can also be infringing under the DMCA.

QuoteAnd NOBODY EVER CALL ME NAPSTER KIDDIE !!!!!!
I have never ever downloaded MP3s or Movies nor do have any of the required clients on my PC.
Aged 34 I also hardly qualify for being called kiddie.
Great - but irrelevant. I don't believe that lovekraft meant you particularly, in any case. The topic had broadened.

As I said, it's not a matter of offense to my feelings. The poster of the stuff on that web site has on the face of it infringed several copyrights. Whether he's pursued legally or not is not an issue, it only matters to them personally in how much they eventually have to pay for it - yeah, I well know that it may be nothing.

But I don't have to condone the practice, nor be quiet when the practice is being defended. I'm sure you're a great guy, no nasty habits and no intent to defraud or infringe, which I applaud. But don't you think it's a little far out to defend breaking the law?
R.G.

puretube

Quote...Corporations exist to make money
Guys like Paul exist to pay their bills, and to make more cool stuff, and to do a service to the industry that they love,...

corporations were founded by real existing individuals, who had visions and put them into reality;
through that, they could pay their bills, make more cool stuff, and help lots of people that are working for them, to pay their bills in turn;
and what they did, is in fact supporting the art of music.

when I look at the (manufacturer-) name-dropping in this forum,
I doubt that it would ever have come into existence without
those "corporations".

interesting read: http://www.formusiciansonly.com/