Interesting schems

Started by MartyB, January 29, 2005, 11:34:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

I didn't see the link, and haven't been following the thread too closely, but I like to think of some of the folks affected by this as friends, and since I try to defend friends as ably as possible I'll jump in.

The availability of some older commercial schematics, and occasionally even some recent ones, is a result of followup to a product already sold.  A great many of the Boss and Ibanez schematics floating around are from service manuals.  In other words, the company in question has already sold the consumer something, and would prefer the product remain in working order so that others may use it, enjoy it, and be inspired to buy one themselves.  Those companies would also prefer to not have to undertake the servicing and repair of said items themselves.  They enjoy selling the items around the world, but shipping them to individual owners around the world is another thing.  Yes, it is true that folks like us can reverse engineer and make ourselves clones at (sometimes) reduced costs, but the schems only exist publically (and generally initial recipients of such schems have paid for them) because something has already been sold and some profit has already been made.

In the case of someone like Jack, he hasn't already sold someone a product that the information is intended to provide followup support for.  And though I certainly can't speak for Jack, if anything, restrictions placed on the distribution of such materials are essentially a byproduct of procedures needed for cost-recovery rather than revenue generation (translation: intended to pay for materials, website hosting costs, etc., and NOT intended to pay for another car).

panasonic_youth

alright, can i just please get the links? i want the old magazine articles, this is rediculous guys, come on.

puretube

Popular Electronics, June 1976: "Music Modules to Build Your Own Synthesizer"

ocelot

What is the link close the thread otherwise its crazy about 5 people know what your all talking about

Ge_Whiz

While we're about it, could we have a re-run of Ricky Vance's signature that caused so much offence? I missed that, too...  :lol:

SnooP_Wiggles

kinda interesting read on copyright from philosiphical sortof standpoint...

http://guweb2.gonzaga.edu/faculty/alfino/dossier/Papers/COPYRIGH.htm

ocelot

It is really anoying me the fact that no-one is sharing the link

panasonic_youth

do a search on Popular Electronics, June 1976: "Music Modules to Build Your Own Synthesizer", im sure that will return the link. im going to go do just that, and post if i find it again.

puretube

Quote from: Ge_WhizWhile we're about it, could we have a re-run of Ricky Vance's signature that caused so much offence? I missed that, too...  :lol:

http://www.hotavatars.com/data/512/31126untitled1.bmp

backup your files - or go bald

BTW: I use MS IE, and don`t have to clear my caches for any reasons (...)
so I was able to revive the complete "Tube Zipper Lounge" thread over at H-C FX-forum from my temp. internet files, when it had vanished from the forum due to heavy traffic during the holidays...