A small, simple request....

Started by Dragonfly, January 30, 2005, 12:06:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragonfly

As many of you know, ive been posting schematics of effects ive designed or modified here on the forum. Also, as some of you know, i make at least "part" of my living by building effects pedals.

so.....

heres my request.....

if you want to build a pedal for yourself from one of my schematics, thats GREAT !  i highly encourage that.

if you want to build a pedal from one of my schematics as a gift for a friend, relative, bandmate, etc.....thats also cool.

if you decide that youre gonna build some pedals from my schematics to sell...thats not cool.  youre taking away from my living and hard work. it would be similar to me grabbng the ROG Eighteen, putting it into a box and selling it, with no compensation or thought for the work that the ROG guys put into the design of the effect.

anyway, im sure you can see my point in all of this  :)

Andy
Dragonfly FX

Johnny Guitar

Well, I think it's exceptionally cool to put your schematics up for us to look at.

So (from the other side of the coin) if you were to sell PCBs of this, I would definitely buy one if only to show support for what you are doing. I imagine you are still perfboarding these (and I admit that my perfboard work has not been very successful -- part of my desire to purchase a PCB).

Given how generous you've been with the schematics and technical questions, what you ask is more than fair.  :D  

John

Dragonfly

Quote from: Johnny GuitarWell, I think it's exceptionally cool to put your schematics up for us to look at.

So (from the other side of the coin) if you were to sell PCBs of this, I would definitely buy one if only to show support for what you are doing. I imagine you are still perfboarding these (and I admit that my perfboard work has not been very successful -- part of my desire to purchase a PCB).

Given how generous you've been with the schematics and technical questions, what you ask is more than fair.  :D  

John

thanks...i appreciate that.

i have pcbs designed for several of them, but not made yet...im gonna get 50 of the sparkle boost pcbs made next week....in the meantime, id be happy to email you the pcb/layout for something if you'd like....:)

andy
dragonfly fx

zac102

I'd say that's more than fair.  I was planning on building a sparkle boost for myself, and one for a friend at the cost of compenents, but I can't see how anyone could go into the production of someone else's diy design and live with themselves.

puretube

I`m afraid that history repeats itself: posted=cloned  :cry:

Dragonfly

Quote from: zac102I'd say that's more than fair.  I was planning on building a sparkle boost for myself, and one for a friend at the cost of compenents, but I can't see how anyone could go into the production of someone else's diy design and live with themselves.

see...and thats 100% cool with me...its fun, doesnt hurt anyone....   :D

as for the "living with themselves" part...there are quite a few "big name" boutique guys peddling stolen designs....

Dragonfly

Quote from: puretubeI`m afraid that history repeats itself: posted=cloned  :cry:

yeah...i took that into account when i posted a few of the schemo's, but im hoping that the good character of the people here will prevent them from using them for things "other than personal use".

on a good note...the Sparkle Boost and a couple other pedals will be going to market within a week or two, so i'm hoping to beat the cloners....

Marcos - Munky

I don't build stompboxes to sell, but if someday I do it, you can be sure that your effects won't be inside of the boxes. To tell the true, if I start to sell something, I will post here in the forum info and schematic for the effect.

electrictabs

Dragonfly
I'm with you 100%
That is what i (and many other) expect when we post schems here.
I also hope that we all believe in this principle
good luck with your new pedals...

Outlaws

Not to highjack the thread, but how much must be changed in a circuit so it is no longer a lawsuit waiting to happen?  I ask only because I see lots of stuff for sale (ie FenderChamp and TubeScreamer clones) that are ovious ripoffs.

Just curious.

I was gonna build myself the sparkledrive, but the schematic is a bit too much for this n00b.  Someone posted a layout, but subbed out their own parts in it.  :(

puretube

Quote from: Outlaws.. how much must be changed in a circuit so it is no longer a lawsuit waiting to happen?...
Just curious.

Absolutely nothing.

(in this case...)

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Puretube is quite right.
Unfortunately, 'legal' and 'ethical' are two different things.
I suppose it is the duty of our 'legislators' (aided by the courts) to try to make 'legal' and 'ethical' match as closely as possible, but I am afraid that the gap is widening, if anything.

Alpha579

thats cool, dragonfly. BTW, other than the sparkle boost, what have u designed?
Alex Fiddes

jmusser

Gee, I wish you would have told me that before I came out with my new product line called "Dirty Santches". I just turned a couple letters around in the name, is that so wrong? :lol: This is one of those topics that has been thrashed around quite a bit, and caused a riot on what came to be the infamous "?" Thread. In all reality you're not really accomplishing anything by asking this, because the people who are decent (I'd like to think I'm one of those) wouldn't think of selling your design, (especially when you were kind enough to offer it for fun), so it's moot. The A Holes, are going to steal other people's work and take credit for it, just like all A holes have done throughout history. At least, that's the way it has always worked in the world I live in. I wish I could tell you something different.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".