WOW it works and it sounds GOOOD!!!!!!

Started by aron, January 30, 2005, 05:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aron

Joes Diode-compression op amp is a huge success! Sounds great in my Shaka pedal! Drop in replacement - has more feel and at the extreme drive ranges imparts a compression feel - similar to amp sag.

VERY COOL! The build is verified.

Go for it!!!!!!

http://www.diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewforum.php?f=16

Marcos - Munky

Cool, Aron. Could you post a soundclip with an A/B between a opamp and Joe's diode-compression opamp?

aron

I need bring home my minidisc. I can do a comparison at that point. Let me tell you it's worth it to build this!  8)

brad

Oh, I didn't realise you could build a daughter board and use it to sub opamps in existing pedals!  That's really a fantastic idea!  :o

What's next, discrete hex inverters?  :P

Karmasound

Sorry, but can I use a 2n5088 or 89 in place od the 2n5087?

edit- i realize the 2n5087 is pnp is there a sub i can use?

Gilles C

aron

You know it doesn't have to stop here. You can build any type of circuit there and then have a wild circuit where there was a mellow one before.

brad

Quote from: Karmasoundedit- i realize the 2n5087 is pnp is there a sub i can use?

Perhaps you could try a 2N3904 for the NPN and some 2N3906s for the PNPs?  2n5087s are a bit hard for me to get my hands on too.

btw, those DIP plugs would be great for this type of thing.  You could goop it up for some extra mojo.

Karmasound

great i have some 2N3906s

newbie alert :shock:

brad

I don't know how it'll affect the circuit though, they probably don't have as much gain as 2n5087s.  :?

Back on topic though, it would be interesting to build a dual version and try it out in a Boss SD-1, or even in place of the inline dual opamp in a DS-1.  Perhaps even make it with SMD components...

MartyB

bigjonny

Oooh.  I am excited to try! Here's a quick IC Protoboard layout I cooked up:

Note, I kept an empty "column" in the middle for running things between IN+ & IN-.

Marcos - Munky

What about a GE opamp with matched transistors? Looks like a great sound. Or maybe a hybrid opamp.

brad

An all Germanium opamp?  Interesting!  :shock:

brad

Oh, and about the discrete inverter I joked about...

...I don't know if there would be any benifits from using discrete components (other than tweakability), but wouldn't it be pretty easy to make?  Interters are barely more than a pair of mosfets and a diode or two.

Peter Snowberg

This is soooooo cool! 8)

Thanks again Joe!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

stm

Talking about substitutes like 2N3904 and 2N3906, and other lower gain trannys, I have to add this could result in softer clipping, which can be good!

bioroids

Great!

Also would be worth trying some piggybacked transistors I think

Thanks Joe!

Luck

Miguel
Eramos tan pobres!

WGTP

How about driving the tripler part of the Triple Fuzz with it? 8)
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

Peter Snowberg

I wonder if the "good" part of the sound could be an effect of using resistors for current sources rather than active current sources?
Eschew paradigm obfuscation