News:

SMF for DIYStompboxes.com!

Main Menu

new to forum

Started by rxtech, January 30, 2005, 05:54:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rxtech

Hi. I'm a first time poster here and I wanted to ask some questions.  I' m interested in the Matchbox, Umble and Thunderchief schematics on runoffgroove.com and I would like to know how hard it is to build these?  I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to electronics, but I don't need to get psyched up about something I won't be able to make work  :x , or end up needing to ask a bazillion questions.  One question is that I see a variable resistor that says 1M-A or another that says 250k-A.  What the heck does this mean? 1mega ohm and 250 kilo ohms?  How much money do these things cost to make?  Would I just be better of buying stomp boxes that compare to the ones listed above?  Thanks in advance to any responders.

aron

1 million ohm and 250 thousand ohm, but you just ask for a 1 MEG pot and 250 "k" pot and the local store will know. The A stands for audio taper.

Your effect concerns have been met here:

http://www.geofex.com/effxfaq/fxfaq.htm

and here:

http://www.diystompboxes.com/cnews/FAQ.html

rxtech

Peter Snowberg

Welcome to the forum. :D

One cool thing about this place is that if you ask a bazillion questions, you get a bazillion answers.  :wink:

Building your own boxes can cost more, but only if you don't place a value on the education you get while doing the build. Also to consider is that the DIY world has a LOT of boxes that will never make it into commercial production. You can't buy a lot of these designs anywhere for any amount of cash.

I would absolutely suggest reading the FAQs here (the DIY FAQ, and the FAQ forum), as well as the FAQ over at GEOEFX. Lots of stuff to learn and thankfully Aron and R.G. have created these gems. :D
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

Sic

rxtech, welcome buddy, good to have you here.

There is a wealth of knowlege here in the FAQ and also in our search feature up the top.

99 times out of 100 if you have a question, its been asked before. So *someone* here will know the answer... and if we don't we'll help ya figure it out

There are so many good links out there to learn what different things mean.

Make sure you check out the beginner project Aron has posted, its a very simple circuit that sounds great and gives a simpler approach to getting started in the DIY world of guitar effects building.

Good luck

petemoore

Secret Life of pots answers that one...and reading browsing for reads is one of the best ways to answer many/most questions...
 Another good suggestion is a DMM...really to do this, you'll need a capitol investment [what .... 100 buxx?]...with that tho, you can probably do at least a few builds, and the ability to tweek them to your equipment ... well hopefully you'll decide to start and find value it that, one of the main reasons/rewards DI.Y.S.B.ing offers, besides learning about electronics.
 Those are nice choices...but since you ask, I'd have to second the booster suggestion for getting your feet wet. I'ts easy to get cold feet attempting a more complex debug, with a single stager like the NPN Boost, you can work up some basic chops, and become a happy Booster Builder and learn lots of what's 'n what not's.
 Try the links atop this page, link around, and you'll find a wealth of info.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

petemoore

HEY RX TECH !!! Welcome to the forum !!!
 I'd work first on getting an active gain stage going first [Booster] ... not just for something to do, but to have a great sounding booster, and learn a few chops about building.
 Nice pencil tip iron
 DMM
 other stuff
-------------
 100 buxx would be easy to spend on that...after that it's not so bad...like 20-50 buxx per NICE Stompbox. More like 10-15 Buxx per circuit if you already have a wrapper [box, switch, etc..].
 Big deal though, that you can mod them. If the circuit you just built is too much 'this', or too little 'that'...It can be modified, to work more the way you want.
 Your gear is the 'racetrack', the stompboxes are your 'racecars'...if you can set your 'car' up perfectly for the 'track' you'll have a winning setup !!!  8)
 Sold yet?...here's one for ya....then you'll most probably want to build another, and another.  :P
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

MartyMart

Welcome rxtech !
I agree with pete, after you get a build to work/ learn some basics and get your confidence up,  you will be HOOKED !!
I've only been building "from scratch" for a year and now have about 25 fantastic pedals built to MY specs for MY sound !!
Its obsessive once you start....
you have been warned !!  :D

Marty 8)
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

strungout

Oy.

Welcome! I'd add something witty, but it's 7 am. Tough luck :P

Ciao.
"Displaying my ignorance for the whole world to teach".

"Taste can be acquired, like knowledge. What you find bitter, or can't understand, now, you might appreciate later. If you keep trying".

rxtech

Thanks for all of the responses and kind welcome!

bwanasonic

Quote from: rxtechI' m interested in the Matchbox, Umble and Thunderchief schematics on runoffgroove.com and I would like to know how hard it is to build these?
<snip>
Would I just be better of buying stomp boxes that compare to the ones listed above?

There are no commercial units that compare to the ones you mentioned as far as I know. The Fetzer Valve (also runoffgroove) is sort of the *basic building block* for the ones you mentioned. It's also fairly easy and has a low parts count. It's real utility comes in front of a tube amp however, as it is not a *distortion* effect per se. It does it magic by boosting the signal to your amp.  

Kerry M

rxtech

Boy, the GAS can sure get started with that Matchbox and the Eighteen that are on runoffgroove.com.  I know that there are those who say to make a booster or something simple, but I'm really digging these two.  Have any of you trusworthy souls  :wink: ever made one of these effects or would be willing to for one of us newbies? Does anyone have anymore sound clips or pics of these 2 effects?  Thanks for lending an ear and eye to a man with GAS!! :lol: