Another PCB etching ?

Started by Karmasound, January 30, 2005, 07:58:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karmasound

I don't have a laser printer but I have been practicing at drawing them.

I was wondering if there was a pen or pencil that I could use to make a sort of grid and help me line up things with my ruler. That i could leave on and that would be eaten away by the solution?

Karmasound

Ok I tried a different method.

I took some tissue paper and printed out the layout. Tape the tissue paper over it and printed again. Like the PNP blue.

Then I layed it down on another sheet and traced over it with my sharpie. Then went over again to touch it up.

I hope this works well on copp. I haven't had a chance to try it on the copper since I don't have any yet . But I think it will.

toneman

sharpies leave a very thin coating.
Try an enamel paint with your technique.
Try fingernail polish!! :)
Yes,! it works!
I use it 2 touch up spots that flake off during the xfer process.
also, use it *during* etching,,,,
Dab on spot, FP drys very fast,  back in the etchant....
stayetched
tone
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

Karmasound

What about those paint pens will those work too?

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: KarmasoundI was wondering if there was a pen or pencil that I could use to make a sort of grid and help me line up things with my ruler. That i could leave on and that would be eaten away by the solution?

Some people print out the pcb on paper, then tape the paper to the pcb blank, then use a hammer and nail punch (or just a nail) to put a dimple wherever a hole is going to be.

Then clean the copper and (usign cotton gloves so you don't get sweaty oils on the copper) it is pretty easy to see where to draw the lines, either freehand or with aid of a ruler.If you go slowly, there is enough goop in a Staedtler Lumograph to 'resist' the etchant.

The incredible bonus is, with the nail dimples there, you dont wreck the board when you drill the holes!

Karmasound

Excellent. I'll be doing that for sure.Thanks

j0shua

another method :

get simple paper xerografic, bond16 or 20 ..... and INK DESKJET PRINTER!

after you print cute the paper exact size of Virgin PCB , get hot iron and put slow, like you use the iron whit your pants etc....

left the circuit on paper for 5 or 6 minutes ( DO NOT USE WATER TO REMOVE THE PAPER OR ALCOHOL ) ...

just remove the paper from pcb slow, any traces of paper can remain on PCB and just use a knife ...... and ! DONE ! you have a printed PCB

Enjoy!

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: bwanasonicAlso curious about the conductive trace pens from Caig Labrotories.
Your questions answered by Caig:
http://shopping.netledger.com/s.nl/c.ACCT113328/sc.12/category.22/ctype.KB/KB.218/.f
But it is pretty academic, at $30 for 7mil :shock:  :x  :cry:  :cry:

Any DIY chemists??

lethargytartare

anyone try carbon paper?  although i'm keen to try the hammer and awl method, I got some carbon copy paper and was gonna try transferring the layout with that, then go over it with a combination of rub-on transfers (radio shack) and sharpie marker (for lines).  The transfers have shapes for ICs and lines if you want those too...i'll post how it works out...

ltt

guitarmonky55

i use sharpie and get great results.  it was trial and error at first.  i found that one layer of sharpie works best, as multiples wear away the previous coats and leave spots where the etchant eats through bad.  one solid smooth coat, let dry and then etch with hot(HOT!) water bath and agitated etchant under a halogen desklamp for quicker etching.  3-4 minutes and my board is perfectly clean.