why didn't I figure this out earlier with DC jacks?

Started by triskadecaepyon, January 30, 2005, 10:25:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

triskadecaepyon

It took me about 3 weeks to figure out why my DC jack was not working from radio shack.  The positive was going on the outside of the jack, which is why I was getting no power!  (I was using those all metal DC jacks).   I can't believe I took so long to figure that out.  Anyone else have this experience?

R.G.

That's a common problem for people building Neovibe clones.

Mouser has a plastic-barreled DC jack that will fix that for you.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

NaBo

or alternatively, if you have a few of those metal jacks and like the look and such, you can use a rubber gromet or washers to isolate it from the enclosure.  GGG describes that way of doing here: http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=178&Itemid=200

MartyMart

I bought a few of those early on and have used them on a few "Plastic" enclosures, as there is no "box ground" in this case  :)

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Mike Burgundy

I lactually *like* using the metal ones, using that barrel to ground the case.
I do use other (positive barrel) pedals, which I've solved by using two colours of DC plugs. Black for regular, red for crossed. All reds go into the metal jacks, all blacks into plastic.