Is there a better compressor?

Started by gtrmac, January 30, 2005, 10:43:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtrmac

Hi all,

I have a working Dynacomp but I've always felt that it lacked something when compared to the results when using a studio compressor. I would love to have a unit with the features found in the Carl Martin Compressor/Limiter. This unit has Ratio, Threshold, Attack/Release, and Gain controls. I haven't tried one but it looks promising and if I can't build something like it I guess I'll have to just go out and buy the thing.

I started the thread about the THAT Corp. IC's and designs because this could be a way to build a full featured unit. I'm not sure if these designs would work at instrument level since they are intended for line level I assume.

Is there anything else out there?

bwanasonic

While lacking the set of controls you mention, I have heard good things about the Aphex Punch Factory. Also would like to try the Demeter Compulator.

Kerry M

j0shua

Orange Squizer ( www.tonepad.com ) , is very good and simple, are 2 models for guitar, exelent compressor sustain!

and you can find to in www.generalguitargadgets.com  :wink:

Peter Snowberg

The Orange Squeezer is a wonderful circuit that can get you some of that Mark Knopfler sustain and finger noise..... but it's sure short on controls.  :lol:

If you're going to buy a unit, be SURE to check out the Really Nice Compressor from FMR Audio.

http://www.fmraudio.com/RNC1773.htm

It's a little under US$200, and it sounds AWESOME! :D I LOVE mine!

The signal chain is VERY short. One OP275 and THAT VCAs for each channel (it's stereo). The control is done with an algorithm running on a Motorola 6805. Very cool engineering!

For a DIY build, check out the "What Compressor?" at http://dt.prohosting.com/hacks/what.html
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

gtrmac

Yeah the RNC is on my wish list for the studio but I'm leaning towards the Carl Martin for my pedalboard. I just wish I could make it myself.