Short Ultraflanger build report

Started by strungout, January 31, 2005, 08:42:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strungout

Oy.

Finally decided I,d put the zombie aside till I could get tl062's and gave another shot at the ultraflanger, since I'd bought new chips. Worked on the first try! I think one side of my breadboard is screwed up...
I used TL072's and the only change I did was to the 1uF cap filtering at the output of the sweep pot (after that 100k res), I upped it to 2.2uF cause I was getting some twirl at one end of the sweep.

I had alot of hum, but a big-ass cap (had to go to 2200uF - bs ps...) across the power line cured that, and I still get some hiss and a heartbeat-like noise no matter what I try, but you'd really have to pay attention to spot it and I figure once it's on a board and doesn't have heaps of wires crossing over the ICs and audio line (breadboarded) it should get quieter.

I'm really impressed with the sound. By what I had read around, I expected something more subtle and noisy. Not a jet flanger but awesome for the parts count, especially with my modded rat in front of it. And not only do you get flange, you get slapback, thrill, vibrato, swirly wierdness...

:P  8)

Now I'm trying to come up with a perfboard layout while keeping my hair on my head. And I thought the phase 45 was hard to perf.

Ciao.

Thnx to John Hollis for the circuit!
Device 1-9 posted over at ampage.hammer.org has a nice article explaining the different stages of a flanger circuit. Good info. Thnx.
The "Technology of phasors and flangers" at GEO is also a nice read. RG also has a project PDF there. Thnx.
"Displaying my ignorance for the whole world to teach".

"Taste can be acquired, like knowledge. What you find bitter, or can't understand, now, you might appreciate later. If you keep trying".

petemoore

Cool, sounds like you nailed a nice one !!
 Flange's been working it's way up my list for a long time...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Joep

Connoisseur of Distortion

if you perf that monster, please leave a pic  :shock:

strungout

I'm almost done, but ehhh... not sure how quiet it'll be and it might be a bit of a complicated build. The biggest issues are keeping away the audio part from the clock and keeping the board from getting too big. I'll be sure to post some pics of the layout and the result!

The Ibanez 301 would be evil to perf!

"Taste can be acquired, like knowledge. What you find bitter, or can't understand, now, you might appreciate later. If you keep trying".

strungout

Oy.

Well, here's what I came up with. Not great but we'll see what it does when it's built.

Opinions?

Ciao.

EDIT: ahaha...hard to click a link when it isn't there...good too cause I realized there was a connection missing and a component marking.

http://www.freewebs.com/fkstilt/ultraflanger-perf2.htm

EDIT: Just a quicky, PIN 8 OF 4049 NEEDS TO BE GROUNDED (saying it this loud for myself). STUPID (that one's all to myself). Will correct the schematic in a few.