Where to buy Hammerite Paint?

Started by Khas Evets, January 31, 2005, 04:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Khas Evets

I want to try Hammerite on my next enclosure. Who carries Hammerite in the U.S.? Should I check home centers, auto stores or art & craft stores?

vfr800fiman

Ace hardware stores are a distributor in the US for Hammerite.
I just bought a can last fall for one of my projects, and boy does it look GREAT :D
Glenn
What is the difference between mechanical engineers and civil
Engineers? Mechanical engineers build weapons and civil engineers
Build targets.

Paul Marossy

Lowe's has some spray paint that looks like Hammerite. It's made by Krylon or Rustoleum, I don't recall which.

RDV

mrsage

Rustoleum has a few "metallic" paints that look pretty nice.

Outlaws

So do you have to bake Hammerite?

What about the durability of the other brands?

I just used Plasti-Kote on my pedal.  A couple coats with a couple coats of their laquor too.  Seems like it is chipping kind of easily.

jimbob

"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

Fret Wire

Quote from: OutlawsSo do you have to bake Hammerite?
What about the durability of the other brands?

Don't bake it, unless you want a crinkle finish! Let it air dry. I use the Rustoleum brand that Lowes and Ace carry, and it's very durable. Observe the re-coat times, it will also crinkle up if you don't.

Use a self etching primer. Even the most durable paint won't last if it isn't bonded to the surface. Advanced Auto carries a green colored self etching metal primer (Duplicolor) that works great.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Khas Evets

Just picked some up and put a couple coats on an altoids tin as a test. It looks fantastic and it couldn't be easier to apply. I'm sold.

Fret Wire

Good color selection on the Hammerite paints too. The green is perfect for Tube Reamers or TS's.

http://www.rustoleum.com/Product.asp?ddf=73&frm_product_id=21&SBL=1
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)