Opamp for a Vintage pedal -Maestro FMZ

Started by octafish, January 31, 2005, 07:45:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

octafish

Well I have been away from the soldering iron for awhile now, but lusting after Dan Auerbach's live tone has brought be back. I found out his prefered fuzz weapon is the Maestro MFZ, and there is a schem on, suprise, suprise the schem page!
   So it looks a bit like a tubescreamer variant but stripped down and shuffled. Now I have never built a TS or messed with opamps so would any of the recommended TS opamps work for this circuit? Anyone know what the original hardware would have been? Its about thirty years old so I don't suppose I'll find original chips but it would give me an idea of the specs to look for.

Cheers, thanks for helping out an opamp newbie.

Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. -Last words of Breaker Morant

octafish

Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. -Last words of Breaker Morant

analogguru

The correct Name is MFZ-1 and it uses TI  SN72L022CP which is a TL022.

analogguru

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

If you use a random op amp that turns out not to be a low-leakage input, you might want the 2M2 splitters to be 47K or something, in case input leakage pulls the input voltage off to buggery. Don't ask me how I found that out :oops:  the hard way, right.

octafish

Well I dropped by DSE and got a TL072 and a LM358 I figure I'll give these a try out before I dig through Rockby's parts list for dual op amps. I'll change the bias resistors to 50k ish at your suggestion Paul. Rereading the technology of the tubescreamer again and again.

Hey guru was there a MFZ-1a? I got/get a bit confused with the Maestro fuzzes but this is the only opamp circuit I found. The others are all tonebenderish.

analogguru

There was only a MFZ-1....build by Norlin...started in 1976

analogguru

Dan N

Gottfried! Nice to see you here! Hope all is well.

Dan