Little LED Grommet things? What is their real Name?

Started by bryantabuteau, January 31, 2005, 08:35:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bryantabuteau

The little black grommets that you see on pedals to house LEDs....what are they actually called?  I'm finding it really hard to find them in the electronics stores, but that isn't helped by the fact that I don't know what they're called.....

Processaurus

They're called bezels.  I've seen them at radio shack for not too much $$$

runmikeyrun

they work quite well as long as you drill the right size hole.  I got some from rat shack that were chrome too, pretty snazzy
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

R.G.

R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

bryantabuteau

thanks.  the only bezels i could find at the local electronics store were for little lamps, not leds. I'll look harder next time.

pyrotek

One of the electronics store here in my country calls it "LED Holder". You have more than 20pcs of it for a dollar, both the black and the chrome one, 3mm or 5mm.

NaBo

when small bear opens back up, you'll find both black and chrome bezels for sale at a decent price... i havent found the right style anywhere else, locally

bwanasonic

I don't like the chrome *bezels* preferring the little black plastic *collars* that I think the original poster is talking about. I think of *bezels* as those honking big things that poke out about 1/8" from the surface. The ones I like barely protude at all, and just form a little black circle around the LED. What the hell do you call those things anyway?  :?  :lol:

Kerry M

NaBo

now THOSE i've seen a lot of...  always marked as "LED holders" or something similar.  i've seen white and black.  they're a lot cheaper and readily available, you could probably make a functional equivalent yourself from a bit of heatshrink tubing or something... but i for one definitely prefer the look of the "big honkin' bezel" myself, black for light coloured boxes, chrome for the dark ones...  they really make the LED 'pop', and i mean hey, if you're gonna go through the trouble of using 3pdt switches or a millenium bp just for that little light, you might as well make it stick out a bit!

but to each his own :wink:

sir_modulus

Those are the thingies I have a ton of! They are called TX(insert number here...it's been cut out... :shock: ) Panel mount LED holders, and they are two pieces.

Cheers,

Nish

bryantabuteau

Yeah, those little black collar type things are the ones I'm after.  Panel mount LED holders.  Will drill that into my brain :)

dr

.....I just use those regular rubber grommets for holes where a wire might go through a hole in the chassis-I found some that will just fit the 5mm LEDs and when I drill the hole out a bit more, they fit quite snug......it also leaves them non-permanant, in case one dies.....do the snap-in woobas allow you to change the LED's without having to desolder?............(oh, I forgot- i solder the wires to a couple of socket pins that I harvested off an IC socket)..........dr

TheBigMan