Using different value pots

Started by Outlaws, January 31, 2005, 09:43:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Outlaws

here is the fuzz I just built.
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Projects/TweakO/TweakO.htm

The 250k pot that controls the amount of fuzz doesn't work for me.  Could I sub it out with a 500k pot?  What kind of change would that make?

PS
I am going to get a multimeter, but I have a 500k pot right here right now, so I have to try this first...assuming I get the go-a-head here.

Hal

wouldn't break anything, try it :-D

triskadecaepyon

I find that any pot that usually sucks.  Any good companies to use other than alpha?

rubberlips

probably wouldn't drive as hard at full setting, but it should work.
However I'd be looking to why the 250K doesn't work, it should

Cheers

Pete
play it hard, play it LOUD!

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Pete's right, if it doesn't work right with the 250K, it won't with the 500K.
Is it doing anything right at all??

Outlaws

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)Pete's right, if it doesn't work right with the 250K, it won't with the 500K.
Is it doing anything right at all??

Well, its the control for the amount of Fuzz.  Other than that, the rest of the pedal works.  And it has a decent amount of fuzz.

petemoore

Measure just the pot itself, SLowly turn dial with dmm B/R probes on lugs 1 'n2 and, look for taper difference when doing same, but connections 2 and 3. Meters 'read' slow, so maybe mark some range setting of the potshaft [1/2, 1/3, 2/3rds etc] using a knob to read off the template, mounted and marked. take 'static' readings with DMM [stationary potshaft] [use cardboard~].
 Look for dead spots in the pot [meter may jump to 0 very briefly].
 if no dead spots, and you read V/R [variable resistance] across either side of the pot, the pot is functioning.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.