Tube preamp tone stack needed

Started by electrictabs, February 01, 2005, 06:55:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

electrictabs

Now let’s say that we have designed an all tube preamp that with a set of switches,relays etc. can emulate some of the most desirable amp sounds like Fender,Marshall,Boogie,Soldano,etc.
What kind of tone stack (treble,mid,bass) should we put after the last triode(it’s a cathode follower).
We want a tone stack that would be useful in a Fender emulation but also in a Marshall or Modern one. Right? Would  the passive marshall or fender tone stack be appropriate for this…
Is there any other tone stack(passive or active) that could do the job?

Mike Burgundy

If you look at a Fender tone stack and a Marshall one, new or old, you'll notice it's the same circuit.
The Marshall has different values an a little less range.
google is your friend...

electrictabs

sorry for that
When i say fender i mean the blackface tone stack
when i say marshall i mean bassman or plexi tone stack
they are a bit different...

Mike Burgundy

Theyre both 3-band standard Baxandall stacks, with different values. As far as I know., anyway (blackface twin: Baxandall blackface super reverb: Baxandall 100WPlexi: Baxandall JTM45/fender bassman: Baxandall... Am I missing something here?)
Experiment, I'd say

electrictabs

Yes I know they are similar circuits
my only quest is to find a circuit that would do the job for each setting(Fender clean,Marshall Crunch,etc) thus being between the most known tonestacks in sound alteration.So as you said i guess experimentation is the only way...

R.G.

QuoteSo as you said i guess experimentation is the only way...
There are some things that circuit simulators are really, really good at.

This is one of them.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

electrictabs

Yes...
I checked Duncan TSC
and I found out that the Marshall circuit can somehow do what the Fender does sonically so I guess that's my thing...

puretube

ragtime8922

Check out the "tone stack" section of the "Adams Amps" site. He has a Dumble tone stack that, if I remember correctly, was a Fender/Marshall with a bunch of switches that adds a ton of versatility to the tone. Also, again by memory, it was the only tone stack on that page that was "incomplete" but it was only a matter of a couple of values.

http://amps.zugster.net/main.html