The awesome pedal PAINTING thread

Started by Karmasound, February 01, 2005, 11:27:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hair force one

....->
green spraypaint & black marker pen & then rooock!

Paul Marossy

hair force one-

Cool enclosure. Did you make that yourself?

hair force one

yes Paul, i make 'em myself and sometimes make a bunch and sell 'em (atthe site below) but they're a bit pricey (for US customers...

Paul Marossy

cormac

omg these are incredible lol -- i really feel like a loser now -- i'm having nothing but problems painting mine -- i'm gonna ask my questions anyways :) (i'm not proud ;) )

ok i've got a kit from small bear -- starting populating the board yesterday (going well too :) ) -- but painting this is making me nuts --

it's a galvanized aluminum box -- i primed it with two coats of metal primer (spray can, name brand metal primter) and sanded (400 and 600 grit) between each coat and cleaned the surface after sanding with a clean cloth and rubbing alcohol --

so the primer went fine -- when i started painting the color (purple) and repeating the same process i'm getting a 'scaling' on the coats -- at first it was fairly low-key and i sanded it out -- but with each subsequent coat, it's getting worse -- the last coat was the worst -- it looks like purple alligator scales -- which, if i ever build a stompbox with an alligator theme that would be cool -- ;) -- however, i'm going for a smooth finish to use self-printed clear labels on --

any suggestions? i'm very conscientious about sanding and cleaning etc. -- this is my first time so i am turning to all the experts here :) -- man so many of them look professional -- :)

oh also -- when i put on the decals/stickers, i saw then i should then "use a clearcoat that don't resolve the ink" (thanks kojjum) -- i take it the label will say this or what should i look for?

Thanks for any and all help -- great looking boxes :)
take care,
cormac

"The sunshine bores the daylights out of me"
--the stones

Gilles C

Here is my latest, waiting for some lettering.

http://www.gtechblues.ca/SunburstMaking.html

I finally decided on a "Balanced Input Buffer A/B Effect Loop" board.

A kind of double Tilman circuit.

A box waiting for a name.  :roll:

Gilles

Paul Marossy

Wow, Gilles, that is very cool! Nice work.  8)

hair force one

i'll say this primer and this paint are not in love!

Gilles C

Quote from: hair force onei'll say this primer and this paint are not in love!

Any bad experience with it?

Or did someone else have?

Thanks,

Gilles

FatMike

Here's a picture of my EA Tremolo in another DIY enclosure. (actually it
doesn't really fit in this painting topic with it's rather boring gray painting, but I somehow like that color for it ;) )

Here's another picture, a closer view of the controls.
http://forum.musikding.de/attachements/Tremolo_05_k.jpg

Fat Mike

H.Manback

Nice work there, just a cool look, nothing in your face on the paint job. Looks very neat and tidy!

I'm working on an enclosure for my small clone, and I really hope that all the experimenting I did so far to see if I can get it right will pay off. Once it's done I'll be sure to show it here.

hair force one

excuse me gilles i was talking about cormac bad experience with mismatched chemicals... :oops:

FatMike

QuoteWhere do you get those enclosures ? Looks great (especially in the subtle paint scheme)

As is said before, its a selfmade enclosure  :wink: . I build them using a plaxiglass like stuff (it's called "macrolon", a very solid material)

Samuel

So how do you get/work with Makrolon? Very curious.

FatMike

QuoteSo how do you get/work with Makrolon? Very curious.

I cut the single sides of the enclosure out of a peace of about 5mm thick Macrolon and glue them together using glue for harder plastics. Then I round out the edges, sand the whole enclosure and spray it. Although the single sides of the enclosure are only glued it is very solid. I tried deassemble one of these enclosures, it didn't work. Nice glue...  8)
I guess that you could break them by jumping on them, but I guess that still would be hard.

Here's a link to a post by Image_sounder:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/sboxforum/viewtopic.php?t=28076

He builds his enclosures in a very similar way (but with thinner "sheets" of macrolon), you can see quit well how it works as the enclosure on his  pictures isn't painted yet.

nofretsplz

Okay, I'm not sure if this will post the photo correctly....heregoes...

I laser cut a plate with the holes and characters, put the thing together, then filled the characters with form-a-gasket stuff from the garage.
The rest of the finish was the result of an attack by a rabid grinder....

http://groups.msn.com/spvrd6alvdtrchp6avl09ld5i3/files/photo%2Fklingonpedal.JPG

MartyB

This link requires a login/password-type thing.
:?

MartyMart

Quote from: cormac

so the primer went fine -- when i started painting the color (purple) and repeating the same process i'm getting a 'scaling' on the coats -- at first it was fairly low-key and i sanded it out -- but with each subsequent coat, it's getting worse -- the last coat was the worst -- it looks like purple alligator scales -- which, if i ever build a stompbox with an alligator theme that would be cool -- ;) -- however, i'm going for a smooth finish to use self-printed clear labels on --

any suggestions?

Does it look like this :
http://www.pbase.com/martymart/image/33339388      !!!!
That was a nasty reaction between box/paint and clear coat I almost wanted to keep it that way !! :-)
I just had to remove the lot and found a new clearcoat !!

Cheers,
Marty 8)
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Gilles C

While reading the posts about the primers and the paint used by everybody, I thought it would be nice to have a page somewhere that would list the correct paint to use for effect boxes finishing.

...And what NOT to use.

A page or a section called "Finishing your own stompbox" to complement this forum.

Good and bad experiences could be mentioned.

Gilles