The awesome pedal PAINTING thread

Started by Karmasound, February 01, 2005, 11:27:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cormac

Quote from: MartyMart
Quote from: cormac

so the primer went fine -- when i started painting the color (purple) and repeating the same process i'm getting a 'scaling' on the coats -- at first it was fairly low-key and i sanded it out -- but with each subsequent coat, it's getting worse -- the last coat was the worst -- it looks like purple alligator scales -- which, if i ever build a stompbox with an alligator theme that would be cool -- ;) -- however, i'm going for a smooth finish to use self-printed clear labels on --

any suggestions?

Does it look like this :
http://www.pbase.com/martymart/image/33339388      !!!!
That was a nasty reaction between box/paint and clear coat I almost wanted to keep it that way !! :-)
I just had to remove the lot and found a new clearcoat !!

Cheers,
Marty 8)

yeah but worse! but yeah that's it definately  -- i stopped at a local, independent hardware store last night (one where they got guys who know something about what they're selling lol) -- they'd never heard of anything like it but recommended a primer specifically for galvanized metal -- so i'm gonna try that -- i'm using rustoleum brand for both the primer and the paint so i figured there wouldn't be a chemical mishap lol -- so much for that theory ;)

i'll try the other primer and see if that goes any better -- isn't it weird tho that we both had problems with purple -- hhhhmmmm -- something cosmic in all that i'm sure ;)

i may have to name this the purple alligator fuzz box if not lol -- cuz yeah it is kind of cool -- just really not what i was aiming for lol -- damn i hope the clear coat doesn't do the same thing

thanks for the help :)
take care,
cormac

"The sunshine bores the daylights out of me"
--the stones

cormac

Quote from: hair force oneexcuse me gilles i was talking about cormac bad experience with mismatched chemicals... :oops:

thanks hair -- i think you're right -- i replied in the above one -- both were rustoleum products tho -- weird ....
take care,
cormac

--the stones

Paul Marossy

WoW, MaRtYmArT, I've never had paint do that to me before!  :shock:
What primer/paint combo did you use to get that effect?!

sir_modulus

hmm....I use Tremclad normal primer and it works amazingly with the hammerite paints...

hope that helps,

Nish

Hal

Wait, does that say AWESOME paint, I thought it said AWEFUL.

JK  I redid this box after this.  It turns our primer really does help :-D.  It actually looks decent now, I'll post a pic at some point.

Paul Marossy

I'll have to agree that you get better results when you use primer. But, I have had good results not using any, too.  8)

MartyMart

Quote from: Paul MarossyWoW, MaRtYmArT, I've never had paint do that to me before!  :shock:

The problem here was I used "anti rust" primer followed by that purple colour---- BAD reaction.
It was fine after stripping and using "Hammerite" metal primer.
Kind of a "crackle glaze" effect  :D

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Paul Marossy

Hmm... maybe the "anti-rust" part of the equation is responsible for this dastardly deed?!  :lol:

cormac

Quote from: MartyMart
Quote from: Paul MarossyWoW, MaRtYmArT, I've never had paint do that to me before!  :shock:

The problem here was I used "anti rust" primer followed by that purple colour---- BAD reaction.
It was fine after stripping and using "Hammerite" metal primer.
Kind of a "crackle glaze" effect  :D

Marty.

i'll have to check ... perhaps mine is anti-rust as well -- i hadn't given it a thought so i may well have used it
take care,
cormac

--the stones

MarkB

why not... here's a couple of mine..  done with the dark t-shirt material.
not the best, but not bad..
"-)

aron

sekta

Hi.
Can anyone explain to me what happens next after designing look of frontpanel?
I mean I open Photoshop, design frontboard look and what happens next? On what type of paper should I print it, what to do next?

I would preffer to use normal paint but i dont know how to make details like fonts etc.
Anyone can e-mail me on janjanjan@o2.pl
Thanks.