Fetzer Valve Problem

Started by ildar, February 01, 2005, 03:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ildar

I completed a Fetzer Valve, my 1st perf build after many PCB builds, including the ROG 18 and TC, so I know how to bias FETs. However, when attemting to bias the FET in the FV, I get a reading that initially starts high-7.5v or so and dwindles down, or a reading that starts low- .3v and climbs. So, WTF???

MartyMart

Sounds like a bad fet or bad trim pot.
I had a very similar problem a few days ago, it was a bad 100k trim pot and worse.... I had TWO bad 100k trim pots !!!!
Drove me nuts !!
You should get a stable reading when all is well.

Marty. 8)
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

ildar

Well, I tried a couple different FETs, two gave me no reading and one gave me the problem I've described. I'll change the trimmer and see what happens.

triskadecaepyon

I just built one, and I am having the same problem!! Stupid trimpot must be the reason.

petemoore

If a trim is connected to a socket at say drain, try pulling the transistor, then check to see if the pot's working with DMM.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

ildar

I tried pulling the FET and got a voltage reading identical to the battery-the one I was using read 8.9v, and that's whatI got from the trimmer after pulling the FET-EACH TIME I pulled different FETs.
:x

B Tremblay

B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

Alpha579

Quote from: ildarI tried pulling the FET and got a voltage reading identical to the battery-the one I was using read 8.9v, and that's whatI got from the trimmer after pulling the FET-EACH TIME I pulled different FETs.
:x

that would be because theres no current running through the trim pot when you remove the fet...isnt there?
Alex Fiddes

ildar

Quote from: B TremblaySolder bridge?
Well, no-at that point in the circuit it's 9v+ > lug one trimmer > lug 2,3 trimmer > FET drain- hard to have a solder bridge with three solder points.

Quote from: Alpha579that would be because theres no current running through the trim pot when you remove the fet
There is indeed current going through the pot, and pin one of the FET socket, exactly equal to the voltage straight off the battery.

petemoore

What I mean is pull the transistor, then the only thing connected to the pot is the output cap [IIRC]. Under these conditions in the Fetzer I think you can get an accurate pot reading without having to pull it out.
 without power, test the resistance[s across the pot with DMM, turn the pot, see what kind of range you have, I sometimes check pot function, pre-install, but get tired of that...still I have to find and dig bad ones out of the circuit occasionally.
 I think they sometimes bend EZ...
 Could be anything, is Jfet orientation...re-verified?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

B Tremblay

Quote from: ildar
Quote from: B TremblaySolder bridge?
Well, no-at that point in the circuit it's 9v+ > lug one trimmer > lug 2,3 trimmer > FET drain- hard to have a solder bridge with three solder points.

Yes, but what if there were a solder bridge between the Drain and Source pins of your FET socket?
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com