Scrambler transistors...

Started by NaBo, February 01, 2005, 04:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NaBo

i've had a completed scrambler cct sitting here for a while, but i havent been able to find the 2N5306 transistors suggested on GGG.  It says "or other darlington" so I popped in a few that i had... MPSA13s, and also i think they were MPSA14s (or maybe MPSA20?) ... either way, the effect was reeeeally tame, barely noticeable.  no MPSA18s at the local shop either...   :(

just wondering if anyone can suggest any other (common?) darlingtons that would give good results?  i wish small bear was open...

phillip

Mouser Electronics sells the 2N5306 Darlington, I think the part number is 512-2N5306.  They have the B-C-E pinout.  I think the MPSA13 and A14 both have the standard C-B-E pinout.

For the non-darlington Q2 I use a 2N5089.

Phillip

Travis

MPSA13 worked fine in my scrambler.  If it is tame in any way, you have a problem with the build.

Different transaistors didn't change the sound very much in my rig.

leonhendrix

hi

for q2 iused 2n3904

and 2n5089 insted of the darlingtons,sounds fine against the sound samples.

NaBo

after seeing that tonepad's project file for the scrambler suggests the MPSA14s, i realized "hmm... somethings definitely wrong!"  decided to audio probe and while doing so i managed to find one of those dreaded nearly-invisible hair-line solder bridges between the emitter of Q1 and R2's pad.  woops...

scratched it off, works perfectly now!  i guess sometimes you never know til you check