getting a warmer acoustic sound through PA

Started by jayp5150, February 01, 2005, 07:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jayp5150

This was discussed briefly a while back, but I didn't see quite what I was looking for.

My cousin has an Ovation acous/elec (the thinner bodied one) and was complaining about it sounding thin through a PA, but stellar through an acoustic amp.  I know a DI might solve this for him, but he is budgeted.

Is there a booster that would warm up his tone (and I could maybe add a tone section too), or should he just get an EQ pedal?

I appreciate your help.  Please share any of your experiences.

downweverything

bwanasonic

What do you mean by "through a PA" ? Direct from the guitar's 1/4" plug into the board? There are a number of reasonably priced DI's on the market in the $25-$50 range (see Rolls, ProCo). The Aphex series of pedals (exiter, compressor, etc) also offer a serviceable DI in the $150 range. Miking the amp is worth trying, but is not a guaranteed success either (feedback, etc.).  I've heard my friend Johnny Young get great results with just an EQ pedal  into a crappy PA however:

http://www.bloodroot.net/home.html

Kerry M

petemoore

Quote from: jayp5150This was discussed briefly a while back, but I didn't see quite what I was looking for.

My cousin has an Ovation acous/elec (the thinner bodied one) and was complaining about it sounding thin through a PA, but stellar through an acoustic amp.  I know a DI might solve this for him, but he is budgeted.

Is there a booster that would warm up his tone (and I could maybe add a tone section too), or should he just get an EQ pedal?

I appreciate your help.  Please share any of your experiences.
Can you describe the chain briefly from source to amp/speakers?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

jayp5150

My bad for not clarifying--long day yesterday.

He's pluggging the guitar directly to the PA, 1/4" unbalanced.

He doesn't own the amp, but when he bought the guitar, that was what the judgement was based on.

I guess we thought DI's were more than $40, but I found some inexpensive ones yesterday.  So, a DI get's rid of the thinness, then?

Thanks guys.

AL

Boss makes an Acoustic Simulator that works well with electric/acoustic guitars. They can usually be found used for around $60.

AL

Mike Burgundy

A DI does not solve the thinness ingherent to an ovation, unfortunately. It's the piezo sound.
You can do a lot with a compressor and a good parametric EQ. Make sure you have a high-Z input first. Oddly enough, this will help to brighten up the sound, but it will also leave you with a lot to work with and helps dynamics.
I'd say high-Z preamp (if the guitar is passive, otherwise leave it out) into compressor into EQ into DI. Should be very workable.

jayp5150

Thanks.  I'll relay the feedback to my cousin.

Thanks again, guys.

bigjonny

Quote from: Mike BurgundyYou can do a lot with a compressor and a good parametric EQ.
A compressor really helps, but can cause major feedback.  Best to get a compressor/expander (compander).  A.R.T.'s TCS product does this beautifully for a reasonable price, and has a Hi-Z input specifically for cases like yours.

It's also a dual-channel device, so use the other side to tighten up vocals.  This has been show-tested by me, and I loved it!  Easy learning curve thanks to presets.

dpresley58

A Baggs preamp would probably be the best bet for this guy. They run around 120-140 bucks, come with parametric eq's and notch filters, run off phantom power and deliver the goods on acoustic guitar through a PA... I've worked with them for years, and tend to see them frequently on other stages as well.

A DI box would get the signal balanced on it's way to the board and make up -some- of the lower signal some acoustics have coming off their pickup system, but you wouldn't have any tonal control through a DI.

Acoustics can be handled tonally at the board by soundtechs worth their salt, but some folks just don't have the ear for fattening them up.

For what its worth.
Little time to do it right. Always time to do it over.

dpresley58

Quote from: downweverythingmic the amp.

And, then again... There's always the simple approach.

Good call. :wink:
Little time to do it right. Always time to do it over.