higher clean volume from a ruby..?

Started by BramcoteLorne, February 02, 2005, 05:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BramcoteLorne

just wondering if there are any tweaks to get a bit more clean volume out of my ruby, it's stays clean with a 10k res over 1 and 8 pins (texan specials in a strat) but it's pretty darn quite.

I'm using a 5457 for the fet.

have people had a go at putting 2 ruby's in parallel like the little gem mark II? how about 4...?

or will a design like this never give a clean sound at a decent volume?

I'm loving the crunch with a 1k pot in there don't get me wrong but I was just after a little more headroom too if poss.

thanks a lot,

dave.

MartyMart

You could try running it off a 12v supply or even higher ?
Could it be that your "texas specials" are driving it a bit hard, what happens when you back off the gtr vol a bit ?

Marty 8)
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

B Tremblay

Running it on 12v will help.

What speaker(s) are you using?

Also, what do you consider to be a "decent volume?"
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

BramcoteLorne

hi,

it's a hifi speaker roughly 6" x 9". came out of an old B&O cab.

to run at higher voltage do I just need to check if the parts are rated to eg 18v?

am I barking up the wrong tree with the idea of 2 in parallel?

thanks,

B Tremblay

First, find a speaker intended for use with a guitar amp.  There's a big difference!  Also, am I correct in understanding that the speaker isn't in a cabinet anymore?  If so, that will also hinder the tone and volume.

Yes, just make sure that your 386 and caps are rated for at least 16v if you're using a 12v power supply.

Regarding two 386 in parallel (like the Little Gem MkII), it will provide more volume than the stock Ruby, but I strongly suggest finding a more appropriate speaker.  It's entirely possibly that you haven't heard the circuit's capabilities yet and that once you do, you'll see no need to build a different circuit.
B Tremblay
runoffgroove.com

BramcoteLorne

hehe I guess you are right :D

I've got an carpenter mate of mine to knock up a quick cab and I've got a celestion super8 on order :D

I'll let you know. :wink:

dc.