"Tube Screamer" build update !!!

Started by MartyMart, February 02, 2005, 08:59:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyMart

http://www.pbase.com/image/39315385

Click on the link and use the "next" prompt to scroll through the build.
This is the Tonepad TS-9 using "Torchy's" stripboard layout.
I used a Ti RC4558 and 2N3904 transistors, may try some MPSA18's instead.
I built a monster !!
It "Howls" and "Motor boats" at high gain settings, I thought that shortening all the cables would solve this but it didn't ??
You can see the longer cables in one of the pics.
I used the "More/Less" gain mod and used a 2k7 and 20k resistor for this in place of the 4k7/51k, also increased the 47n cap ( op-amp pin 2 ) to 100n, to match the bass freq for this mod.
Perhaps this version doesn't react well to the "gain" boost, I have to say that its VERY VERY loud ! even on lower gain/vol settings.
Need to debug that at some point.

The enclosure is a "Hairforceone" box, with two coats of green enamel (cooked for half hour) and the sides "wire wool" polished and clear coated.
Knobs taken from a Boss TR-2 ( which now has fulltone's on it )

I'll add some graphics as soon as I get some "clear" sticky backed paper
the "Decals" which I've used before are too prone to "bubbling" and hard to handle when wet !

Marty 8)
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

casey

the red little boxes in torchy's layout means to separate the copper strip by partially drilling it....

doesnt looks as if you have done this...

good luck.
Casey Campbell

lethargytartare

Very cool!  I love seeing photo narratives like that!  Good luck debugging it!!

ltt

Joep

Hi Marty,

It looks like there are some strange things in the left bottom corner and around the IC. I marked them.... have a look.

[/img]

Hope this helps.....

Joep

MartyMart

Casey :
On the third photo, you can see the cuts in the copper !
Scroll through them.

Joep : "Fooled ya"  that was an early photo, once inspected with a mag-glass those "solder" blobs were trimmed off as they were almost touching!!

THanks,
Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"

Joep

OK, but still, the left corner looks not right. It looks like Rb is missing....

casey

Quote from: MartyMartCasey :
On the third photo, you can see the cuts in the copper !
Scroll through them.

Joep : "Fooled ya"  that was an early photo, once inspected with a mag-glass those "solder" blobs were trimmed off as they were almost touching!!

THanks,
Marty.

whoops  :roll:
Casey Campbell

MartyMart

Quote from: JoepOK, but still, the left corner looks not right. It looks like Rb is missing....

Its there now, the photo was from my version before "Torchy" corrected the Rb position.....   well spotted though  :D

Hmm, some nasty "motorboating" going on, with the gain past 50% its unuseable, below that its fine....??

Marty.

GreenEye

Man, do you ever eat, sleep, or work?  It's like nonstop pedal building over there....cool stuff.

MartyMart

Quote from: GreenEyeMan, do you ever eat, sleep, or work?  It's like nonstop pedal building over there....cool stuff.

Hmmm, sometimes it seems like I dont  !! :wink:
January is always a "Duff" month for me ( self employed producer/writer/muso)  but should pick up next week     ... I hope !! :shock:  :shock:

Thanks,
Marty.

Joep

See if the motorboating stops/changed it you move the wires around. If not the problem must be somewhere else.

Make sure there is nothing connecting the traces. Especially look around the places where you cut the traces. Some ultra small bits of copper may be left there...

Good luck again,

Joep

bigjonny

Cool, MartyMart - I am thinking this will be my next build.

Your wires DO look a bit long:
http://mk23.image.pbase.com/u40/martymart/large/39315417.TS9wire.jpg
Have you tried shortening them?

Quote from: caseythe red little boxes in torchy's layout means to separate the copper strip by partially drilling it....
Erm, forgive my ignorance... why is this better than just cutting the strips?  That's always worked for me.  Less chance of shorting, I suppose?

Quote from: MartyMartI used the "More/Less" gain mod
Not sure which one you're referring to, but in case you don't know: the TS-7 is a part-for-part copy of the TS-9 (prolly w/ cheaper components), and has a "Drive/More Drive" mod, which changes from stock TS-9 values (Drive) to a more gainy, bassier mode (More Drive).  Sounds quite good, and it is easy to fit on a DPDT (or 3PDT with an LED).  I quite like it b/c it changes the EQ and Gain at the same time!  Lamely, Ibanez's pedal uses a DPDT that isn't stompable.  Obviously the savvy DIYer would remedy this.

I posted the components to mod in another thread, but you'll have to refer the TS-7 schematic to figure out what to change.

MartyMart

Quote from: bigjonnyCool, MartyMart - I am thinking this will be my next build.

Your wires DO look a bit long:
http://mk23.image.pbase.com/u40/martymart/large/39315417.TS9wire.jpg
Have you tried shortening them?

Quote from: caseythe red little boxes in torchy's layout means to separate the copper strip by partially drilling it....
Erm, forgive my ignorance... why is this better than just cutting the strips?  That's always worked for me.  Less chance of shorting, I suppose?

Quote from: MartyMartI used the "More/Less" gain mod
Not sure which one you're referring to, but in case you don't know: the TS-7 is a part-for-part copy of the TS-9 (prolly w/ cheaper components), and has a "Drive/More Drive" mod, which changes from stock TS-9 values (Drive) to a more gainy, bassier mode (More Drive).

Thanks bigjonny,
I've done loads of TS-9 mods ( I sell them on my site and on Ebay ) but this one's wierd!
I have shortened the wires quite considerably, didn't help  :roll:
I must have a short somewhere, time for "DMM MAN"  !!

Marty. 8)

MartyMart

UPDATE:
Torchy came across the same "Motorboat/howl" problems and has updated the layout.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v220/veroboard/Tubescreamer/screamer.gif

He added the 47uf cap and moved D1 over.
Now works perfect !!
Just thought you all would like to know :D

Marty.

petemoore

Veroboard sure looks cool...I've not tried that/.]
 I think If I was about to do a  TS build, I'd use a verified Veroboard layout and like it.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

MartyMart

Quote from: petemooreVeroboard sure looks cool...I've not tried that/.]
 I think If I was about to do a  TS build, I'd use a verified Veroboard layout and like it.

I recommend this one, its two hrs max, if your "box" is ready to go !
Great, I can "sell" my old TS-9 now  :D

Marty. 8)

cab42

I bought the parts for this one yesterday, now I just need a couple of nights to build.

A lot of other effects (Odie, Tube Reamer (done that - fantastic), Alexa, SOS etc) compares to the TS. But i have only tried one 10 years ago so I was thinking that I almost had to build it for reference

Marty, your photo-series looks good. I'm sure it will be of help for me.

Joeb, great idea mirroring (spelling?)  the layout. I did a lot of mistakes in the last (= first) veroboard I made, RDV's Tonebender NPN Si. I will post my layout soon.

Regards

Carsten
  • SUPPORTER
"Rick, your work is almost disgusting, it's so beautiful.  Meaning: it's so darned pretty that when I look at my own stuff, it makes me want to puke my guts out."
Ripthorn

MartyMart

Quote from: cab42I bought the parts for this one yesterday, now I just need a couple of nights to build.

A lot of other effects (Odie, Tube Reamer (done that - fantastic), Alexa, SOS etc) compares to the TS. But i have only tried one 10 years ago so I was thinking that I almost had to build it for reference

Marty, your photo-series looks good. I'm sure it will be of help for me.

Joeb, great idea mirroring (spelling?)  the layout. I did a lot of mistakes in the last (= first) veroboard I made, RDV's Tonebender NPN Si. I will post my layout soon.

Regards

Carsten

Thats great !
Don't forget that the "photo essay" is the early incorrect version, check torchy's newer layout with the 47uf cap added and D1 moved over.
My photo's will look wrong for those parts, but its an easy change.
Keep your soldering "neat" and dont use too much or you'll bridge tracks  easily !
Cheers,
Marty.