Doing Boss Mods -Phillips Mods?- questions..Phillip? Anyone?

Started by jimbob, February 02, 2005, 06:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimbob

Fisrt - Im in the process of socketing my new Ibanez Ts-9 for a chip rc/jrc 4558 change and to ts808 specs-Turns out that with a little patience, a decent soldering iron and soldering braid (important) its a pretty easy change. In fact the chip just fell out after the carefull use of the solder braid!
Thinking about modding my new Sd-1--but the damned thing sounds so good stock with my rig already- Why fix if it aint broken. Btw- im sure this pedal might such with others setup. But might it actually works well with.

Also-modding a new ds-1 (crappy thin sounding pedal but awsome for the price) to - for the most part Phillips mods from his site. Im using his values but not  using such high quality Digikey parts $$$. That seems to be going fine as well - as I continue to take my time with the soldering iron and braid. I was wondering though- It lists a 3mm white super bright led replacemnt. I thought about more of a nice bright clear blue ect.. 5 mm and drill the hole out a little bigger. Is there going to be any difference in voltage i should know about reguarding this change. Resistor change?
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

wampcat1

Quote from: jimbobFisrt - Im in the process of socketing my new Ibanez Ts-9 for a chip rc/jrc 4558 change and to ts808 specs-Turns out that with a little patience, a decent soldering iron and soldering braid (important) its a pretty easy change. In fact the chip just fell out after the carefull use of the solder braid!
Thinking about modding my new Sd-1--but the damned thing sounds so good stock with my rig already- Why fix if it aint broken. Btw- im sure this pedal might such with others setup. But might it actually works well with.

Also-modding a new ds-1 (crappy thin sounding pedal but awsome for the price) to - for the most part Phillips mods from his site. Im using his values but not  using such high quality Digikey parts $$$. That seems to be going fine as well - as I continue to take my time with the soldering iron and braid. I was wondering though- It lists a 3mm white super bright led replacemnt. I thought about more of a nice bright clear blue ect.. 5 mm and drill the hole out a little bigger. Is there going to be any difference in voltage i should know about reguarding this change. Resistor change?

No, you don't HAVE to change any resistor, it will stil work fine.

Brian

MartyMart

Jimbob,
         I use 3mm "ultra bright" blue LED's in all my mods, saves drilling the 5mm hole, which can be a PITA !
They also run brighter for no more battery drainage, cool ! ( LED Mojo )
If your SD-1 is working well for you, dont change anything, however the "Mods" I do ( similar to Philips ) do get you a "Clearer tone" and some extra vol/gain when needed without changing the sound too much.
Also you get a great "Clean boost" option for free !
A 3mm red LED as one of the diodes sounds V-nice and is an easy "try out"

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Yamaha68

Hey I'm new in the Forum.
I was reading your post about Phillip's mod...is the a link where I can find those mods ?

thanks & regards.
Yamaha Pacifica 604 + Fender Blues Jr.

James P

QuoteI was reading your post about Phillip's mod...is the a link where I can find those mods ?

Yamaha68, you should go to Phillip's excellent site at http://fuzzcentral.tripod.com/ and look at his Boss Mods section.

Regards

James P
If i'm not back in 5 minutes, just wait longer...

Yamaha68

Yamaha Pacifica 604 + Fender Blues Jr.

jimbob

MartyMart- Did you want to share some of the differences in mods that you do compared to phillips?

thanks
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

jimbob

I finished my ts-808 mod from  the pic schem at tonepad.com. Very cool and easy. Sounded great stock- but even better now!

Working on the ds-1 mods and just got my mouser.com order in . Anyways i got a few diff things versus what Phillips site recommended. Great stuff !!!

505-FKP2220/100/2.5 = awsome and very small- perfect for Boss stuff/boards-220pf box

75-KP1830147014- very small as well!!= 470pf box
Vishay/Roederstein       
Category:   Polypropylene Capacitors
Description:   Vishay/Roederstein Polypropylene Film Capacitors 470pF 100V 5%
http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?handler=displayproduct&lstdispproductid=250912&e_categoryid=496&e_pcodeid=75023
0.65$..

Also im using the 1uf blue box 63v  I bought from RDV ..Its looking really cool! I love those things!!

Im wanting to use parts suitable other than the specific ones listed from Digikey and have it still sound great as im sure it will be. Im going to use a FEW 1 % metal fils resistors- but mostly Carbon film as I bet there wont be a noticable difference. I seriously doubt it.//

jimbob

OK. finished the ds-1 but w a few changes. in comparison to axis central site of Phillips.( Awsome btw!!! Give it a look!!!!!!)

jimbob

OK. finished the ds-1 but w a few changes. in comparison to axis central site of Phillips.( Awsome btw!!! Give it a look!!!!!!) anyway, i took his mods and experimented with the different values I had and came to my own conclusions.
513-NJM5532L - now that SIP worked great!!! Sounds So much better than the stock!!! .49 $ is all..and the price of the 8pin Dual op amp . NJM chip.

For the 1 ufs I used the blue box ones from RDV, most the resistors were either carbon film or metal. The caps were  Polypropylene Capacitors for the pf's (very small box type) a greenie, and Poly film.
here the few diff I made-

I socketed the chip- Used a njm5532 per AMZ idea. Sounded Alot better!
r-12 was 2.2k
5mm red for the d5
Replaced the led indicator w a Bright Blue 5mm led (drilled it our) -easy - placed on led board and screwed back on. It sits there nicely.
r-39  22k instead of 20k
r-14   1k
r-2     610k (  might go back to 470 though)

I cant remember the rest- Ill have to go back and finish later when i sober up more!!..I removed some of my VERY DRUNK postings. EEEWWW it must have been the shots, man!

Fret Wire

Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

Fret Wire

Quote from: jimbob513-NJM5532L - now that SIP worked great!!! Sounds SSSSSSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better than the stock!!! .49 $ is all..and the price of the 8pin Dual op amp . NJM chips!!!! TRY!! use what sounds best to "YOU". FCK the rest!!!!Just document and pass on to others! Felix!

I see that you did. Glad you liked it in the DS-1. Did you use a socket? Try it in the TS-9 also, I like it best in that ckt.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)