Bypass noise in a Mold Spore

Started by Gladmarr, February 03, 2005, 11:11:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gladmarr

Hey all,

I have a Snarling Dogs Mold spore wah, and it gives me some noise when bypassed.  My understanding of this pedal is that it has real true bypass when it's switched out.  Doesn't this mean it should be totally out of my signal chain when it's switched off?  I'm getting a low grumble when it's off, and it follows whatever note I'm playing.  The sound goes away when I have a Boss pedal or other buffered (non-true-bypass) pedal in front of it.  What can I do to get this noise out of the pedal so I don't always have to put a boss pedal in front of it?

Paul Marossy

In my second Shaka Tube build, I got a whirring noise when it was in bypass mode - the circuit was apparently oscillating and finding its way into the bypassed signal somehow. I changed the bypass switch to a grounded circuit input bypass scheme and that fixed the problem. I've only run across this problem once and that was the fix.  8)

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: GladmarrI'm getting a low grumble when it's off, and it follows whatever note I'm playing.  

When you say 'follows', do you mean it is there after the note, or do you mean the grumble somehow 'tracks' the guitar note, chnging with the frequency of the guitar note?

If it is a case of the snarling dog going unstable without input, then 100K and 10pf in parallel to ground at the input of the fx input (after the switch) should beat it into submission.

Pimens

I have a snarling dogs wah too, its not true bypass,and it did that noise too when i moved the pedal.
but if you dont care about the leds, turn it into true bypass, it really makes some difference.....

michael_krell

I met Kenny Segal, the guy that owns and designs snarling dogs. He is pretty much experimental in his design process. He probably knows about that you should probably email him. Hes a pretty nice guy.

sir_modulus

I'd input ground it as Paul said. That's at tonepad's offboard wiring project. Now I have a question...what sort of switch is in there? From what I've read, I've understood that it's a DPDT that's also driving a set of leds for eyes on the dog....is this correct?

Cheers,

Nish

Gladmarr

I actually have two of these now, and they both have the same problem.  The weird thing is the newer one has the EH 3PDT switches for bypass, and the older one has no name DPDT switches for bypass.  I havn't taken the pcbs out of the shells, so I don't know where things are going.  That's really what I need to do to get things figured out.  I guess I could try emailing Kenny to see what he has to say.

Thanks!