transistor obsidian

Started by anders, February 04, 2005, 08:06:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

anders

I have been looking for a schematic of the transistor obsidian,
but i can only  find the mosfet version.
I  heard RDV`s sound clip  ,and suddently  felt  a need to build one.
can anyboddy help ?

Joe Davisson

I found it & put it up:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/analogalchemy/pedals/trans_obsidian.gif

Could oscillate at really high gains, but probably not.

Chico

Joe:

I built the BJT version of Obsidian, and I have yet to experience any problems with oscillation in my particular build.  My version has a great aggressive bite, sort of an immediacy to the distortion that makes this design stand out from many of the other distortion designs out there.

Quite frankly, Obsidian is currently one of my favorite distortion pedals.  Between Obsidian, Blackfire (another real nice one) and my Rangemaster inspired pedal, into a nice tube cleanish channel, I can cover a huge range of tones.

Best regards

Tom

Marcos - Munky

The only problem that I got with my Obsidian is hiss, but a noise gate can solve the problem. Is my favorite, too.

RDV

I think it's very cool that you put it back up, Joe. I think it has geat merit. It's a good useful design.

RDV

ragtime8922

Quote from: ChicoJoe:

I built the BJT version of Obsidian, and I have yet to experience any problems with oscillation in my particular build.  My version has a great aggressive bite, sort of an immediacy to the distortion that makes this design stand out from many of the other distortion designs out there.

Quite frankly, Obsidian is currently one of my favorite distortion pedals.  Between Obsidian, Blackfire (another real nice one) and my Rangemaster inspired pedal, into a nice tube cleanish channel, I can cover a huge range of tones.

Best regards

Tom

Have you tried the Vulcan? My obsidian (transistor) was #1 until the Vulcan edged it out. But I often have that same result every time I breadboard a JD design. One is better than the next. Cool stuff.

anders

Thank you Joe for putting the schematic up.

I just finishd building and first testing,and i am verry happy with the result.

I  changed the input cap to 33nF  and  put in a  1k pot in series with the

10uF cap ind the second amplyfier to make it a little less over the top.

For transistors i used bc549c

This is a very good circuit.    Thanks again.

Joe Davisson

Cool, glad it works. Thanks for the nice comments!