How to switch trannies in a pedal?what kinda swith do I need

Started by samzeppelin, February 04, 2005, 11:15:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

samzeppelin

I want to be able to switch transistors in my fuzzface
and i wonder how? wich switch shall I use?
how would the circuit look like?

/sam
page rules

JimRayden

Ok, just to make sure... What is the word "trannie" used for most often? Transistors or transformers? I thought they were transformers...

In a bit of confusion...

-----------
Jimbo

samzeppelin

page rules

Mike Burgundy

usually transistor, sometimes transformer but that's usually abbreviated Xformer.
switching trannies? Youre in for big BOOMs with that!
But any 3PDT should be up to it. Per tranny that is....
Sockets are a better idea, probably!

JimRayden

You can put the tranny sockets on the top of the pedal and surround it with a wire cage... you know like on those tube pedals. :P Ok, ok, kidding.

I think the best way would be to mount 3-legged DIN or XLR connections on the pedal. Then buy a few of DIN or XLR plugs and fit different transistors inside them. Then you have "building blocks" you can very easily remove and replace, even on stage. And you could disguise the XLR connectors to look as tubes. :D Lots of cool ideas if to think of it...

I think I'm gonna try that one out on my next transistor pedal.

------------
Jimbo

JimRayden

smashinator

Quote from: JimRaydenOk, just to make sure... What is the word "trannie" used for most often? Transistors or transformers? I thought they were transformers...

Jimbo

In this forum, trannie is usually a transistor.  On the amp building forums I've been to, it tends to be a transformer they're talking about.
People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it. - George Bernard Shaw

http://pizzacrusade.blogspot.com/

Khas Evets

samzeppelin

looks like khas evets and mike was the only ones who got the Question :)
thanks for the replies

/sam
page rules

JimRayden

I now officially hate you for disregarding my idea. I shall put a curse of The Great Hum on you. All of your next pedals will hum like hell and you will be forced to buy cheap mass produced pedals that will hum too.

:twisted:

Ok, let's sit back and enjoy the curse take effect. Meanwhile I'll be playing through my module-changing boxes. MUHAhahaa *cough*

Ok, ok...

-----------
Jimbo

:twisted:

Was fun though :P

Triffid

I have been toying with the idea of using a 4pdt switch... available at mouser for like 4 bucks i think.   As mentioned before... use 2 poles to switch the collectors and bases (leaving the emitters connected)  then use the other 2 poles to re-bias the transistors.