Need to drive 2 circuits with 9 volts

Started by home of the buzzard, February 04, 2005, 02:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

home of the buzzard

... or maybe I need more voltage or more current, not sure.

I have a harmonic percolator circuit that includes an LPB-1 on the output.  My 9V, 250ma wall wart can only handle the percolator so I've had to wire in a 9V battery (tied to ground) to the LPB-1 and this works fine.  The guitarist in my band understandably wants to use one power source so I'd like to get rid of the battery.  I know there's a simple solution but I'm still learning the basics so I'd appreciate the help.  My first thought was that I needed to pump more voltage into the box and split it off on the V+ between the effect and the boost.  Now I'm thinking current is the issue.  Maybe both?  I really need to learn the math!

Thanks for you help,
Matt

Ed G.

Both circuits run off 9v. If you had 1,000 Boss pedals running off one source, it would still use 9V, but the current demand would be higher.
I would THINK (not know) that both circuits can be run off a 250 ma supply.

petemoore

Basically you're talking about small current draw, a 9V battery should handle that added LPB [? is that what you meant] current draw N/P with a very slightly diminished battery life.
 For power supply as 'steady' as a battery consider GEO's Spyder.
 Otherwise I think WW's are noisier' [depending] than spyder or batteries...I use battteries.
 Some PS noise can be eliminated by filtering, one technique is a big cap across V+/V-, an electrolytic of [say 47uf-200uf ], I just use 100uf, with cap - to gnd. [for PNP Neg Gnd. application].
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

home of the buzzard

Thanks, fellas.  
Pete, for the moment I'm using a WW but I will consider your suggestions for using a battery instead and trying out a capacitor between +/- to decrease noise (it is noisy but so's our music).
It does seem to me that the 9V and 250ma should be sufficient but for some reason it's not.  It may be that I need to tie the 2 circuits together in a different way - I'm a beginner so I don't doubt that I'm overlooking something pretty simple.  The LPB ground is common with the percolator, and I'm only using the + terminal of the power supply.
I'm going to do some more research...
Matt