AD-3208 mod à la Mr. Echo?

Started by Stompe Le Monde, February 04, 2005, 07:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stompe Le Monde

I was wondering if anyone here would be able to offer a little bit of guidance or hint on how to attempt modifying an AD-3208 that I built from GGG with a SLAM button like that on a Mr. Echo.

For those of you unfamiliar with it, here is the description of the SLAM button.  SLAM  - The SLAM switch is a momentary, non latching switch that when depressed and held down will set the delay time to its shortest delay and repeats to maximum setting. The result is saturated, runaway echoes.

Any ideas or suggestions?  Thanks!

nightingale

hello,
doesn't the mr echo use a pt2399?

the slam switch is pretty cool. kind of sounds like when you automate the "slider" real fast on an echoplex. except the longer you hold the switch down the more it "builds".
i think this would be an interesting mod to any delay circuit. sorry i can't be of more help tho.
be well,
ryanS
www.moccasinmusic.com

Connoisseur of Distortion

i did something similar on my zombie chorus... it was running a little too fast, so i put a momentary switch with a large resistor (2M, i think) across the normally closed terminals. i placed a jumper across the normally open terminals so when i depressed the switch, the added resistance was bypassed. thus, my chorus sped up dramatically.

if the delay time is set in a similar manner to the time of the chorus, you could do what i did. however, to put in a change in repeats, you would need a switch that allows you to vary 2 separate circuits simultaneously. finding a stomp switch like this could be extremely difficult!

(if the delay time and repeats run one after another, you could omit the section and replace it with a sped up version of the original)

RickL

I think this should work. First you'll need a dpdt momentary stomp switch which will probably be difficult to find, but a regular on-off dpdt will work if you're willing to stomp twice instead of just holding the switch down.

Switch terminals seen from the back of the switch.

1/2 and 4/5 normally closed.

Connect 2 and 3 across the delay time pot. When the switch is pressed you will get minimum delay time.

Connect the wire going to the wiper of the repeat pot to 5 instead of to the pot, connect 4 to the wiper of the pot and connect 6 to the end of the repeat pot that isn't going to ground. When the switch is not pressed the repeat pot will be connected up as normal. When the switch is pressed it will disconnect the wiper and connect the wire to the end of the pot, just as if the wiper had been turned all the way to that end.

You may get some popping and there may not be the fade in the way the Mr. Echo does but I think you'll get the same sound in the end.

Processaurus

Small Bear amazingly has just the type switch you'd need, a heavy duty dpdt momentary stompswitch- thats a pretty specific need!  Great idea by the way,  there aren't alot of pedals that use momentary switches like that, I'm sure with some foot tapping dexterity you could work out some unreal parts where something like this could be used in a fast, percussive way.

Stompe Le Monde

Thanks for the help and suggestions.  I'm glad Small Bear is reopening this week as I haven't been able to find any heavy duty momentary switches locally.  Anyway I'll let everyone know how it works out once I get the switch.

Dan N

There was a Royal Fuzz/Wah that had a switch on the footpad. You could only wah while your foot was on the pedal holding down the switch, or, you could have the wah set in a certain spot and just tap at the switch for interesting effects.

Yea, I know not delay related, but momentary switch related anyway.