XLR cables to 1/4"

Started by Connoisseur of Distortion, February 04, 2005, 10:12:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Connoisseur of Distortion

yes, i know this has been mentioned. but, i have phantom power to worry over, and i need advice.

i'm fairly sure that pin 3 carrys the phantom power, but i have no idea which pin (1 or 2) carries signal.

advice?

ethrbunny

Is this what a 'direct box' is used for?
--- Dharma Desired
"Life on the steep part of the learning curve"

Gilles C

sir_modulus

hmm...not always a good idea. I've heard of some noise issues when you do the conversion...

Just my 0.02F,

Nish

usbdevice

Hi
I'm only familiar with 48VDC phantom power commonly found on professional audio equipment.
On a regular 3-pin xlr both pins 2 & 3 carry +48VDC each, pin 1 (shield) acts as a ground return for the phantom power.
Pin 2 and 3 also carry the signal, hot and cold (inverted), we're talking balanced signal here.
For a regular conversion from balanced xlr to unbalanced 1/4" you would connect the cold wire to the ground (shield), i.e. bridge pin 1 and 3.
If you do this with phantom power present, well, you would ground one of the 48V carrying leads - probably not a good idea (although some phantom power supplies will have current limiting resistors to prevent damage from incorrectly wired connectors/cabes). You would also have +48V DC offset on your signal, although that shouldn't be a problem with properly designed equipment ;)
Maybe you could be a little more specific regarding your setup. It would be easier to find a solution.
To be clear, the phantom powering system described above will not work with unbalanced cables.

Lenny