Does an onboard preamp = a buffered output?

Started by squidsquad, February 05, 2005, 03:51:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squidsquad

Am I correct in assuming that putting a Tillman discrete FET preamp into my strat would interfere with FX that need to *see* the pick-ups to clean up w/the volume knob?

Alpha579

Alex Fiddes

Alpha579

i havent seen the schematic, but i think the output impedance wouldnt be too far from a guitar pup, couple of K (might be completely wrong there)...certainly not buffered...
Alex Fiddes

lovekraft0

Tillman lists the output impedance of his preamp as about 6K - isn't that quite a bit lower than a passive pickup with a 250K volume pot?

squidsquad

Still a bit confused...don't have asolid grip on low & high impedance.  From what I'm gathering then....it wouldn't screw things up?

Johnny Guitar

I'm not very knowledgeable so I hope others who are will chime in.

Quote from: squidsquadStill a bit confused...don't have asolid grip on low & high impedance.  From what I'm gathering then....it wouldn't screw things up?

Given what has been said about it being a 6K output, I would think it would change the way the effect behaved as the volume was rolled down.

That said, how many effects have this odd behavior (like the Fuzz Face)? Is it that common? And it should be noted that RG (and others) has mentioned a few times how to build that loading behavior into a Fuzz Face (unfortunately I cant locate it via the search function here at the moment  :oops: ). I've started thinking of building a FF with TWO inputs -- one input to come from a buffered source, and a second normal guitar input.

J

aaronkessman

not sure, but adding a "bias" control a la the '69 might help there. its a resistor in series with the first transistor. you use it to adjust what feels like bias - how hard you have to hit the string in order to get clipping. I use this and the "contour" of the '69 design more than the fuzz and volume controls of the regular fuzz face.