Still on my quest to DIY tube heaven. High voltage this time

Started by JimRayden, February 05, 2005, 10:17:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JimRayden

I found something really cool:
http://www.geocities.com/stompboxworktop/preamp.html

Ok, it uses a 6AV6, that is basically one stage of 12AV6.

I was wondering, If I use 2 of them one after another, having a switch to turn one of them on and off (a gain switch thingy), and then place it on the top of my amp, the output going to my SS amps preamp input...

Would it sound decent with a little tweaking?

---------------------
Jimbo

sir_modulus

I dunno about that, but I have a question to add to your thread. My question is: can this work if you only have 120V in your sockets? What needs to be changed?

Also, Jim, I have like dozens and dozens of these 6AV6 tubes. If you want them, pm me, and maybe we could work something out.

Cheers,

Nish

javacody

Jim, all your talk about a tube preamp has me wanting to build one too. I would like to use one for recording into my PC.

Something I've been really wanting to do is figure out how to use a 12ax7 to simulate a powertube and then simulate the output tranny and speaker load (like Vox does in their emulators). It's far beyond my knowledge level, though.

zac102

you could definatly do it, all you're doing is adding a second gain stage onto the first, you might have to play around with some of the cap and resistor values though.  to switch it off, you'd have to use a dpdt to bypass it in the signalchain. you'd also want to incorporate some sort of a buffer to prevent popping during the switch.

puretube

imagine: first tube amplifies 50x;
put in 100mV - get out 5V;
put this into next stage;
it will limit/clip anything over~2V;
get out 50x 2V = 100V.

(now this goals for Ub~300V and 12ax7, but get the pic?).

it`ll sound raunchy in itself, but can kill anything coming after,
if you don`t take the right measures, to bring it down...

JimRayden

Yes, that's what I thought.

So the 5V from one tube wouldn't kill my SS?

also, is the 100V input normal for leading into a tube poweramp?

---------------
Jimbo