A tale of woe and "Inspect those solder connections&quo

Started by MartyMart, February 05, 2005, 12:04:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyMart

OK, so you've decided on a build, got the schem/parts/layout....
everything seems great, you do a good job and take your time.
"Heck I've built (dozens) of circuits" - insert however many you have built here.... "this will be a breeze" . . . . .  you say . . . . . . .

And then,  nothing
No sound.....
No working pot
No hum .......
You use your DMM, you use your little "Mag Glass"
. . . . . . .
Damm it you almost re-build the thing......

Then you discover a "microscopic" solder bridge thats thinner than a hair

Yippee.... Hurrah.... I deserve a drink now  :roll:  :roll:

"May Queen"    reporting for duty sir  !!

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Dai H.

ohyeah? I was messing around w/my phase 90 today, did the mod, powered up the amp, flipped it on, and then...no sound...! Gasp! Shudder! Oh no whathaveIdone!!! But wait!... I forgot to flip the standby switch... I am such a dork. :oops:  :mrgreen:

runmikeyrun

how about when you are trying like mad to figure out what is wrong, only to realize you haven't plugged the battery in... woops
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

petemoore

That one'll getcha sooner or later...I spent long time debugging to lack of PS...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Johnny G

i just love transistor sockets. they're soi simple to use. and it makes you feel like such an idiot when you realise that your fuzz isnt working because there areny any transistors in those nice simple sockets :D:D
LET US INSTIGATE THE REVOLT,DOWN WITH THE SYSTEM!

guitarmonky55

Quote from: runmikeyrunhow about when you are trying like mad to figure out what is wrong, only to realize you haven't plugged the battery in... woops

the other day i went back and added a dc jack to one of my FF's.  i plugged it in and was like great what did i screw up now.  i went back to my table and re did the whole line from power to board, only to then realize i hadnt turned the power strip for my pedals on :oops:

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Here's a tip for me: when I turn the board over to debug, the IN and OUT are now on the OTHER sides  :shock:  :oops:
Oh yes, I've done all the others too (no power, no chip, no brain..)

MartyMart

Quote from: Paul Perry (Frostwave)Here's a tip for me: when I turn the board over to debug, the IN and OUT are now on the OTHER sides  :shock:  :oops:
Oh yes, I've done all the others too (no power, no chip, no brain..)

HA !  yup, getting used to "reverse" inspecting of the board can be a real
head F***  !!
Some times I've gone "back and to" 'til I'm dizzy !! ... just for a simple part placement check  :roll:

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com