some more treasures on dusty shelves

Started by donald stringer, February 05, 2005, 11:34:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donald stringer

I had the honor of raiding the forgotten dusty shelves of my favorite music store about a year ago. I got a double handful of seemingly useless effects. Backs off of some, wires torn loose etc. This cost about ten dollars no big deal. I took them apart, put them in bags and lost interest until recently. The first was an omnifex analog delay 706 ad[ what a treasure, this has that verb. qaulity echo that everyone raves about. I adjusted a trimmer, mounted a spst switch in place of whatever use to be there and this thing works great, not unlike a boss dm-2 in sound. I have had one of those and the thing they share in common is once you find the sweet spot there is that elusive reverb qaulity background that sets these aprt from a typical delay. I have boss dd-5 rv-3 they repeat the incoming signal and at varying rates per adjusting the delay knobs which is good and bad that is a matter of taste of course. But the analog [true to its name sets an echo against a backdrop [similiar to mixing delay and smattering of reverb] in one pedal. I  think its a has something to do with the chips they use. The 706 is just capable of short delays in comparison to some newer styles but it does what it does very good. If you can find it would be worth the cost of purchase. I am setting it at the front of chain for thickening clean sounds [ I am experimenting with U-2 type sounds] The second treasure is a DOD compressor. To date I have yet to buy a dod effect, I always bought boss pedals but this dod fx80b rev.d compressor sustainer immediately got my attention. The second I got all the wires hooked [ I have this thing dissected on my desk with everything kind of splayed out] ...The first note I plucked I had the attack up and comp.all the way up up I recognized the the sound. It has a quick attack with smoothe compression [low noise] instant chicken picken. Put an boss od-1 with that combo and you have something happening. I have a boss c-3 and dyna comp. But all three have its own uniqe character and all three does something well. With all the talk lately on multieffects in boxes I think that this compressor would be a suitable candidate for a rehousing. If anyone reads this, could they tell me what gives analog delay that character and why it is not built into modern delays. I dont know maybe they  have I havent had the dollar to buy new qaulity effects lately.... I have an older model Ibanez soundtank compressor, would anyone want to trade something for it ? I will list it the buy sell trade section. Even up swap. Buy the dod compressor if you can make one better than this you would  be doing well. Are there anymore U-2 fans besides me [got there boston dvd what an awesome concert I would have loved to been there. If this has been off topic or in the wrong forum forgive me , we will now return to the regularly scheduled broadcast.
troublerat

rubberlips

donald, sounds like you got a few bargains there! Also great to get a bargain. I ended up getting a crybaby wah for $40 aust, because all I wanted was the case. They threw in the circuit board and when I connected it back in, it all worked great, no noise on the pot what so ever, but it was missing the bypass switch,. Which I added a DPDT switch for full bypass. Eventually it will end up as a controller for different wah circuits and volume pedal.

Not much of a U2 fan, but I reckon their last album sounds pretty good. Never cared too much for the older stuff, but this new album has some balls to it I must say

Cheers

Pete
play it hard, play it LOUD!

MartyMart

Hmmm, I DREAM of being "invited" to stalk the dusty shelves of an old music store. . . . .  nice.
I've only got one "DOD" effect, thats a 490 phaser from the late '70's  if you ever see one grab it !
Its a "Phase 90" with a resonance control, FAB ! :D
Tried to get U2 tickets for their "Twickenham" stadium concerts..... sold out in 2 hrs !!!
The Edge plays some great "parts"  very inventive guy and under-rated as far as I see.

Peace.
Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

birt

i went to an old hifistore in my neighborhood and i ended up writing on a piece of paper what kind of tubes i could use and my cellphonenumber.

the guy sais he's got about 100 tubes he doesn't do anything with and he thinks new tubes are waaaay overpriced for a student like me.

i think i'm gonna get some goodies :D
http://www.last.fm/user/birt/
visit http://www.effectsdatabase.com for info on (allmost) every effect in the world!