Belden Magnetic Wire?

Started by Hailstorm350, February 06, 2005, 03:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hailstorm350

I think I have found a magnetic wire from mouser that can be used for modifying transformers and such,
I have never used such stuff, and I'm looking for a source.
This stuff is sold by Belden and looks good
IT's coated in some polyester stuff.
The 36 gauge wire costs about 32 bucks.
If anyone has any cheaper alternatives, then please let me know, but first confirm my suspicion that this is the magnetic wire I think it is
here's the part number:
566-8058
Again if anyone has any better alternatives that are cheaper than 32 bucks then please let me know, because 32 dollars seems a lot for that wire, although I guess it is justified by the fact that for $32 it come with a 6400 foot roll of it
( if I read correctly)
Thanks,
Ken
Now, don't you start that again!

Hal

thats a lot of wire!

Radio shack sells a pack with 3 different gauges, and I think like 300 ft total for around $5.  

Also, its "magnet" wire.  The wire is copper, not magnetic, at least not ferro-magnetic.  However, it is used to wind electro-magnets, hence the name magnet wire.

Hailstorm350

Thanks Hal, I'll check that out
Yeah, I think if I went for that option, i would probably never need to buy any more for the rest of my life  :lol:
Also, I should be getting the money for those resistors in the mail pretty quickly!  It's sunday though, so there's no point in doing it today.
Thanks,
Ken
Now, don't you start that again!

toneman

u must mean "magnet wire".
steel wire is *magnetic*.
copper wire is not.
terminology is everything.
knowledge can B confusing.
staywound
tone
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

If you are winding a transformer, remember that for maximum efficiency, the input and output windings have equal total weight.
And the 'space' inside the transformer should be filled totally by the wire.
Which means, that for most cases, the diameter of winding wire you need depends on a number of things, and is very unlikely to be exactly wht you have on hand.
BTW, 36 guage sounds pretty thin to me!! thinner than anything I have seen in an audio or power tranny.