clyde mccoy bottomplate

Started by leonhendrix, February 07, 2005, 07:42:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

leonhendrix

I didnt really want to ask this question here because its a yes or no answer, but ive looked eveywhere (mabey thats answered my question)

i know the clyde mccoy had the signature and picture bottomplate but what want to know is did it have a blank bottomplate

leon

phillip

I haven't heard of a blank bottom plate.  All the ones that I've seen have either been the "signature" version or the "picture" version.

Phillip

Derrick

The first Vox wah was the Clyde McCoy picture on bottom wah.  The second just had the nambe in scrypt on bottom.  Then came just blank bottoms with a small metalic serial number sticker and a sticker with instructions about not leaving the input jack plugged in or you would drain the battery.  Over time the stickers have come off of many of the third type described so they look as you said "blank".  All three are early enough to have the same electronics with only the usual small varying changes due to parts availability when stocking/building.

Now... to answer your question, because these wahs were made at the same time in Europe as well as in the USA... there is more then likely overlap of the sticker only or "blank" (as you see it) and the scrypt version.  Again the electronics would be the same.  I have both in fact and they have the same types inductor, caps, transistors, etc.   Same circuit.  Same basic sound too, sweet!  Anyhow, I wouldn't call a "blank bottom version a Clyde McCoy, but wishfull people do because they will have the same circuit having been made so close in time to each other.

Check it out... Below is a Clyde McCoy "scrypt" version.

Bolow is the "blank" version.  As you can see, the electronics are mostly the same.

Below is a "blank" version as they transitioned to the "film can" inductor.  I include this picture though because it still has the two stickers on it!
Derrick

For The Love Of God... Please Don't Ware So Much Cologne Or Perfume!  You STINK!!!!

leonhendrix

thanx alot

i wanted to know because someone offered me a clyde mccoy but i wasnt sure if the bottomplate was original.
does this mean the "blank version" would be alot cheper than than the signature and picture wahs

leon

Derrick

Absolutely!  The only diff between most Clydes and "blank" bottom versions is the bottom plate has the Clyde picture or scrypt writing.  The thing is, these are pretty rare as there weren't a load of these made.  They were the very first ones after all...

The Clydes go for a premium (from what I've seen... around $450 give or take $100), the blank bottoms are much less, but still more then a standard vintage VOX wah (around $200 to $250 again giving/taking $100).  If it's origional inside and in decent shape the blank bottom versions are still the kings!  If it's a reasonable price, go for it!  I don't suggest switching out parts or mods as these don't need it and you will greately subtract from it's value!
Derrick

For The Love Of God... Please Don't Ware So Much Cologne Or Perfume!  You STINK!!!!

jmusser

I'm really good at settling things like this. If there's a question as to if it's a Clyde McCoy or not, purchase it and send it to me. I will trade you my Vox 847 for it, and then there'll be a big weight lifted off your shoulders. You'll have a genuine 847, and I'll take on all that nasty researh for authenticity. No thanks necessary. I mean, what are friends for!
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".