gargletron question for Tim

Started by makkimo, February 07, 2005, 11:30:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

makkimo

just because i can't stop building finished one=start another.... :lol:
i think gargletron by Tim it's a great one and very usefull too so i builded one after the great sounding sample
i've used all components just as shown in the schematics, the gargle pot works very well but the distortion seems to have some problems it's not so linear so soft and vowel and sweett plain as in the sample mine is more crunchy and irregolar and sound in a bad way striking the string hard
my questions are : choosing the right mpsa18 is important or is it not a critical point?
what cap at the IN gives the best results?
i'm using 1n4148 diodes are they good?
is the sample played through the only gargletron or chained with a distortion pedal?
thanx  :P

Tim Escobedo

the input treansistor circuit is simply a modest gain amplifier with a bit of clipping (from the diodes to ground). Any slightly distorted amplification stage would probably suffice. Perhaps the trasnsistor is a bit misbiased?

The input cap could probably be any value between about .01uF and 10uF, non-polarized.

The sample was the Gargletron through a rack reverb (with very little reverb) into the computer.

makkimo

misbiased??? hummmm
reading voltages:
C 3.40
B 1.28
E 1.06
what can i do now???

Tim Escobedo

Make sure the transistor is AC coupled to the diodes.  Check the wiring overall.

You can also try eliminting the input stage, and driving the two op amp filters by themselves to see if they're working.