Debug BSIAB II Help needed!

Started by hilbi, February 07, 2005, 04:50:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scottosan

Quote from: hilbithe real nasty hum is gone now, it is still quite noisy (compared to rat2) but i keep hearing the "octave" effect on high notes, I don't hear this on fe my rat (my main compare pedal)

I recorded an mp3 of the effect, not sure if you can hear it, but i think i hear a lower octave or something, but maybe this is belonging to the bsiab, not sure about that.

http://www.stennisonline.nl/audio/bsiaboct.mp3
Maybe you have a bad cap, or incorrect value. :?

hilbi

but you can hear the octave effect too in the mp3 file?

So not that i'm hearing ghosts or something  :?

:)
hilbi

Built so far: PNP FuzzFace, MXR Dynacomp, EA Tremolo, AMZ Mosfet Boost, AMZ Super Buffer, Blue Magic, Peppermill, RM Axis Face, Sparkle Boost, BSIABII, ROG Ruby, AMZ Mini Booster, MXR Phase 45 Univibe, Tremulus Lune, Dallas Rangemaster, Ross Comp

hilbi

Funny thing, on my pod (marshall plexi settings) i experience this octave effect too, isn't it just that i'm hearing some low marshall like rumbling in the back?
hilbi

Built so far: PNP FuzzFace, MXR Dynacomp, EA Tremolo, AMZ Mosfet Boost, AMZ Super Buffer, Blue Magic, Peppermill, RM Axis Face, Sparkle Boost, BSIABII, ROG Ruby, AMZ Mini Booster, MXR Phase 45 Univibe, Tremulus Lune, Dallas Rangemaster, Ross Comp

scottosan

Was that through headphones or an amp? What kind of amp are you using.  My personal opinion is the amp is the most important part of the equation. Good guitar + good effects + bad amp = bad sound.  On the other hand, good amp + bad guitar and effects= much better chance of getting a good sound.

hilbi

Not sure which post you are refering to, the last post was about Fender American Standard Telecaster through Line6 POD over stereo soundsystem.

The recorded mp3 sample was Fender American Standard Telecaster through bsiab II through pod (Fender Twin reverb black face) to pc.

But i hear it as well in the combination of Fender American Standard Telecaster  through bsaib II over a fender deville amp.
hilbi

Ed G.

Sounds pretty good to me. I don't hear much noise either, other than the single coil hum of your pickups.

scottosan

Quote from: hilbiNot sure which post you are refering to, the last post was about Fender American Standard Telecaster through Line6 POD over stereo soundsystem.

The recorded mp3 sample was Fender American Standard Telecaster through bsiab II through pod (Fender Twin reverb black face) to pc.

But i hear it as well in the combination of Fender American Standard Telecaster  through bsaib II over a fender deville amp.
I guess what I'm saying is unless you are using a "real" amp, then it's hard to say that the BSIAB II is responsible for your tone issues.

javacody

It sounded fine to me, all I heard was your pick attack. That is one of the things about these JFET designs, is that they really seem to pick up the initial sound of your pick striking the string.

Personally, I can't stand it.  :) But most folks don't seem to mind.

hilbi

QuoteI guess what I'm saying is unless you are using a "real" amp, then it's hard to say that the BSIAB II is responsible for your tone issues.

You're absolutely right, that's why I always test it with my fender deville tube amp.  In this case my soundexperience with the bsiab was the same with a pod as a deville.
hilbi