adding expression control to boss dd-5

Started by airplanehuh, February 07, 2005, 08:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

airplanehuh

i'm in the beginning stages of modding my boss dd-5 so that i can use the ev-5 expression pedal to control the d.time. does anyone have a schematic or diagram showing what needs to be done for this? i noticed analogman.com charges for this same mod, but i'd rather learn how to do it myself if possible.

SnooP_Wiggles

unless you already have an ev-5 don't buy one there a ripoff cheap plastic with a big price tag. even if you do i'd reommend selling it in favour of an ernie ball of some sort. There are a number of ways to do this. the easiest way is rip out the delay potentiometer and put it in the expression pedal. use stereo jack + leads to hook it up to the pedal.

airplanehuh

i already have an ev-5 and i tried connecting it with a stereo jack. it works for part of the sweep but then it craps out and makes some weird sounds. the pot in my ev-5 only goes a few k0hms over the pot in the dd-5, but perhaps the 2.5k over is too much for the pedal to handle and it craps out. although a 470k wah pot worked pretty good but it exposed the jerkiness in the sweep around the shorter delay times so it sounds like its taking big steps up. the pot in the pedal is linear and the wah pot is not so that might have something to do with that.

airhole

hey airplane.. did u fit the jack onto the pedal itself? where did u put it? I can't find the space to do it!

thanks,

cheers,
george

airplanehuh

well just for test purposes i used a 1/4" jack and i just tried it out without drilling any holes or setting anything permanent. i believe there might be enough room in the boss pedals to add an aditional 1/4" on either side although to make it easier i was planning on using a 1/8" jack once i figure out the wiring and get the effect that i'm looking for. i dont have regular access to good drills so i have yet to try either, thats just my eyeball-judgement.

airplanehuh

well i ended up getting this mod to work and it works really well. i love the flexibility it adds to my delay pedal. i ended up just putting in a 1/4" jack because the switchcraft enclosed jack fit perfectly on the left side of the pedal next to the other two outputs. i'm still not sure how to get the old knob to work whenever nothing is plugged into that jack. perhaps i'll mess with that again soon.

eh

if you use a normally closed jack you can use it to switch, so the original pot works when nothing is plugged in. or i guess you could like have them in series, and just turn one of them to zero when you wanna use the other..

czech-one-2

Hi,  I realize this is an old thread, but in searching the internet I found scores of threads on this very topic that just seem to fizzle out,with no explaination on how its actually done.I am wanting to add an expression pedal jack to control the feedback potentiometer in my Boss DD-5, ala the ANALOGMAN mod. I actually sent my old DD5  to Mike and had this very mod done,it was on my pedalboard for about 8 years then I stupidly sold it  :icon_cry: Now I'm no longer living in the states so sending my DD5  to Mike P isnt really an option. Can somebody tell me either :
A] How to add feedback control via an expression pedal jack in the DD5, or
B] what the value of the feedback potentiometer is in the DD5 [I cant find a schematic that shows this] I would possibly like to replace this pot with a longer shaft pot,and control the feedback via an oversize knob,like on my KMD Analog Delay............

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer!

czech-one-2

2011 to 2017....and I still want to add an expression pedal jack to control the feedback  pot on my DD-5!
You gotta han it to me for patience!  :icon_biggrin:
Anybody care to help me out with this one?