Substitute for CA3080 in Ross Compressor?

Started by charles, February 07, 2005, 09:20:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charles

Hi guys,

What are suitable subsititute for CA3080 in Ross Compressor?
Would JRC4558 or TI OPA2134PA work at all?

zachary vex

a CA3080 is not an op-amp, it's a transconductance amplifier.  you might be able to shoehorn a 13600 or 13700 in there as a replacement in a NEW design, but the pinout is completely different (as are the number of pins.)

my recommendation is, use a real CA3080 if you aren't familiar with these terms.

R.G.

QuoteWhat are suitable subsititute for CA3080 in Ross Compressor?
LM3080 is the only pin-for-pin that I know of. The CA3080 and LM3080 are not all that hard to find.

QuoteWould JRC4558 or TI OPA2134PA work at all?
No. Quite different functions. These are ordinary opamps, not operational transconductance opamps. Won't work the same.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

charles

Thanks for your help.

Just wanted to see if I can stick what I have lying around... ;-)

sir_modulus

Small Bear's open, and they have them in stock.  :D

Cheers,

Nish

airhole

Paul Marossy

If your local electronics store (not RadioShack) carries NTE parts, they will probably have some CA3080 equivalents in stock. I forget what number they gave it, but it worked fine in one project I built that required a CA3080. I was able to get it locally and I got instant gratification, too. 8)

charles

Yeah...I think it's NTE996 or something like that.
I wonder if there are any sonic differences between original CA3080 and NTE...
I am guessing very marginal...if any...

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Quote from: charlesI wonder if there are any sonic differences between original CA3080 and NTE....

NTE aren't a manufacturer themselves.
They rebadge stuff, or order a special run from a manufacturer.. Sometimes this means that their 'equivalent' really is the part it is replacing, sometimes it just means that if you are a desperate repair guy, the component might be 'close enough'. That is how they can cover a huge number of components with many fewer NTE parts.
In the case of the CA3080, there were only two manufacturers, National Semi and Harris. And National doesn't do them any more.

Satch12879

Allied Electronics has them in stock, Mouser is not carrying them anymore.
Passive sucks.

Progressive Sound, Ltd.
progressivesoundltd@yahoo.com

puretube

jimbob

I usse the nte996 in mine and it sounds great- just like the ca3080 i bought from steve a while back. On steves site theres a ca3080 and i belive a ca3080e- big diff in price--why?
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

Paul Marossy

Yeah, that's the one - an NTE996. On mine, I can actually see that there was some kind of printing on it before the NTE stamp was applied to it. It kind of looks like a re-labeled Harris chip to me...

O

Quote from: Satch12879Allied Electronics has them in stock, Mouser is not carrying them anymore.

http://www.mouser.com/index.cfm?handler=displayproduct&lstdispproductid=347638&e_categoryid=131&e_pcodeid=52617

Mouser still has them... I just got 5 from them.

ragtime8922

Yeah, what is the difference between the 3080 and 3080E.

Anyway, I bought a whole bunch of these when I heard they were going out of production in hopes that posts like these would escalate over the comming years to the point that I can feel like the guy that has a 1000 glass Mullard OC44's and 12AX7A's... :lol:

OK, it might end up being my kids or grandkids that get that satisfaction.