Wet/Dry blend pot on a Green Ringer?

Started by Michael P., February 07, 2005, 11:34:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael P.

The new tonepad Green Ringer project made me wonder: what would I need to do to this to add a pot that could blend the effected and uneffected signals? I'm sure this is a basic concept that's been covered before, but I didn't see anything fruitful when searching - perhaps I used the wrong terms.

NaBo

hey hey

Good idea, and easy to implement too.  I believe it's as simple as wiring input (from switch) to lug 2 of a pot, with lug 1 connected to output and lug 3 connected to board input.  100k should work... think i'll test it out on mine tomorrow with gator clips

Michael P.

Thanks NaBo - I thought it might be as simple as that. But...if this weakens the signal seen by the effect, will it weaken the effect as well?    

If we were doing something similar to a Fuzz Face, it would effectively be like rolling back the guitar volume - yielding a much less distorted tone - and mixing it with a clean signal, as opposed to a full strength signal mixed with the clean signal. Perhaps whether or not the effect intensity itself is weakened depends on the type of effect itself.

Maybe I'm wrong, though. What you're proposing is exactly the sort of thing I was thinking of. Let us know what happens.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

That works, except that there is a tiny bleedthrough at the end. Probably good enough, though.
To avoid bleed, imagine running the blended & unblended signals via 100k resistors to the opposite ends of a 100K linear pot. Now run the wiper arm of the pot to ground.
Now run anotehr pair of 100k resistors from each end of the pot to a op amp (the  op amp is acting as a simple mixer). Now as the wiper arm goes to the ends, one or other side is completely cut off.
Somebody will tell me the 100K resistors should be 70K, or 140K or something... but, it will work! (anyone who can remember whether it is 70k or 140, please let me know!!)

Dragonfly

i would run the input to TWO parallel circuits....one with the green ringer, and one with a pot leading to a simple booster, such as an lpb1...that way it'd be easier to get a true clean/effect blend....

my $.02

andy