Putting Booster Before Bazz Fuss

Started by Matteran, February 08, 2005, 05:36:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matteran

Hi, sorry to have yet another thread about my bazz fuss, but i'm really trying to figure out how to make this compatable with both active and passive basses. The only thing i can think of is putting a simple booster before the circuit that can be turned on or off depending on if you need the signal boosted up to the same level as an active pre-amp in your bass (or guitar), so that the fuzz circuitry will have enough signal to work with in order to distort.

I'd probably use a trimpot and just have a fixed dB boost (i think active electronics boost 15dB or something). I was thinking about putting the AMZ Mini-boost in there. I want a very small circuit that boosts without sacrificing any frequencies, and because this is going to be used for bass i especially need the bass frequencies intact.

Would this be fine? Would I be able to use the same 9V power supply for the fuzz and boost, or would i need 2? Is there something wrong with my bazz fuss, or is it the transformers fault? And, would i need to buy a bigger than normal enclosure, or would a normal Hammond (1590BB) work? Thanks.

petemoore

As long as your NPN NEg Gnd. throughout, you can use the same power supply for adding another Q to the circuit. I'm certain lack of current won't be an issue here.
 Preboosting a Fuzz will increase the distortion intensity, output etc. I think you said that...about comparing the active after a pickup / with just a pickup into the BF.
 I've seen stuff packed in boxes that looked like it couldn't fit in a crate, if you use the same board for the whole circuit...and plan the layout meticulously, you may be able to squeeze that in without it being 'too' super cramped.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Dragonfly

..or you could just build the "deluxe version", which is designed to work with passve and active pickups.

http://home-wrecker.com/bazz.html

strapping a lpb1 circuit in front of the bazz gets nice and mean, in a "metal-ish" sort of way...putting it after the bazz makse the bazz just sound "fuller" and "bigger"....

Matteran

i did build the deluxe, so i'm thinking i might have an issue with my build, but it sounds awesome with Active pickups, so i'm not really sure if there is a problem.

Matteran

i bought all the components for the LPB1 booster, and will build that today.

One question, with a DPDT switch, can i basically treat it as two SPDT switches? Because I needed two SPDT, but instead bought two DPDT, and realized that maybe i could only use one of them.

Matteran

so i built the boost, but i get a really quiet signal. Everything seems to work, but it's just really quiet.

I had an extra .01uF capacitor laying around, so i threw that one in there, in place of the .1uF that is connected to the input. I realized that this would cut some bass, but i just wanted to make sure that i could wire everything right, and swap out the correct cap once i get one. Would this mismatched cap be the problem?

[edit: I messed around with it and i get a stronger signal, but it doesn't boost. If I take the transistor out (i socketed it) the signal goes back to normal volume, if the pot is at 100%. But the moment i put the transistor back in the volume drops. The electronic place i went to didn't have the suggested transistor, but did have the second transistor that's suggested on the parts list. But they didn't have the normal half-circle silicon ones, only the metal ones. Maybe that's the problem? Or maybe it's something to do with the wrong value capacitor?]

Matteran

Is it possible to wire the switch like this? In order to switch the booster in and out of the circuit? Or do i need to use two switches.

Matteran

I tried wiring like this, and got no sound. But I don't know if it's because of the way i have it wired, or because you can't treat the switch as two seperate SPDT switches. Can someone help me out?

(It seems like everyone ignores my threads, sorry for my extreme n00bness)