Build report: uStomp FA-1 clone

Started by TheBigMan, February 08, 2005, 10:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheBigMan

Finally debugged it.  I had a tiny solder bridge that I enventually found after much use of an audio probe (How did I ever work without one?).  I'm currently using a TL072 for the opamp and a 2N5457 for the FET, although I do have a couple of 2SK246s very kindly donated by our own trescat which I'll use when I'm certain the pedal is working 100%

It doesn't seem to have much gain above unity, and the bass pot cuts the sound at it's extreme low, so there are still a couple of bugs in it yet.  Sound is quite nice and sparkly, but considering what the real thing fetches I personally would choose my old DOD FX10 which I stupidly sold.

jimbob

"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

Joep

The FA-1 layout (and more!) can be found here

QuoteIt doesn't seem to have much gain above unity

This is not good, the FA-1 should have plenty gain.

Bye,

Joep

mrsage

Ben N

Anyone know how similar the FX10 is to the FA-1?  A side from the obvioius--the Baxendahl--is it pretty much the same?

Ben
  • SUPPORTER

TheBigMan

Quote from: JoepThis is not good, the FA-1 should have plenty gain.

Bye,

Joep

Yeah, that's what I figured.  I'll trace through it some more with the audio probe and see what I can find.

RDV

ustompsteve

Joep is right. This pedal has insane amounts of clean boost.

If you aren't getting that, there is a problem.

In fact, to my ears, it is a very un-colored boost.

--Steve