Opamp Big Muff

Started by Gila_Crisis, February 09, 2005, 11:47:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gila_Crisis

Hi does ever someone here build an opamp big muff???
i heard they are more wild than the transistor muff.
is it true????

Rodgre

There's been a lot of discussion on this board about the Op-Amp Big Muff which you can search the archives for. I wouldn't call it more wild, though.

I like the op-amp version a lot, but others don't like it as much. It's got the same basic thick sustainy distortion tone, but where the transistor version might be known as wooly and thick like pudding, the op-amp version has more midrange. If you're playing 80's rock, this is the tone for you.

I'm not playing 80's rock, but I like it because it sounds kind of unique.

It reminds me of an early 80's cranked Marshall tone. For some reason I want to play early Van Halen with it.

I don't though. I want to, but I don't.

I had a hard time trying to build one from the schematics on the web, as I've been trying to clone my original one, but just in a smaller box. It turned out all this time that I was prototyping with a dead 741 op-amp, so I probably had it right every time....

Roger

fuzzosaur jr

My fave muff of all, they do sound different, kind of like a nasty, loud, muddy green reissue. They aren’t that noisy but eat batteries.

I have made a few unreliable clones over the past 5 year on very rough boards same size as the original.

Finally I have almost finished a new PCB that fits in a phase 100 size box, it has the pads to make either a little big muff or big muff pi. It could still be made smaller but that size was ok for me.

It is biased on my 78, I haven’t had time to finalize the schematic or make a parts placement diagram. The schematics currently around wont help, with this version, my 78 is very different.

A proto board was checked and it worked great, a few adjustments were made, a couple of the tracks were weak on the first board and some parts were moved, I haven’t checked that revision yet but it should work fine.

I am starting studies again Monday so it might be a few weeks until it is finished in a complete project package.

I might find time to post the PCB, a pick of my originals board and a parts list before Monday. If people are interested.

I haven’t visited this forum for years, it really looks great.  

Thanks.