OT: RIP Jimmy Smith

Started by Ben N, February 09, 2005, 12:27:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben N

Maybe the best Hammond player ever.  Almost certainly the most prolific & productive, right up to his death.

:(
  • SUPPORTER

jayp5150

I just discovered him last year when I took an interest in the Hammond (I can't play yet, though).  Even so, it's very sad to hear that.

barret77

oh no!!!
he was the best jazz organ player ever....

I suggest listening "mellow mood" from "the further adventures of jimmy and wes" - that's jazz, but he's rocking hard with wes montgomery...

At least we still have his apprentice Joe DiFrancesco

Prive

I can't believe it!!!

I discovered JS by my band's Hammond player and some days ago i listen some tunes for the first time.

He was like a Jimmy Hendrix don't you think?

R.I.P. :(

Saludos, Marcelo.
Fuzz boxes don't need on/off switch!!!!!!!!

Joe Viau

I think that Keith Emerson is more of a Jimi Hendrix of the Hammond, but I'm sure that in a Contemporary Keyboard interview Emerson cited Smith as a big influence.

They each have their own great styles, and Mr. Smith will certainly be greatly missed.

Prive

Emerson is Van Halen then  :wink:

Saludos, Marcelo.
Fuzz boxes don't need on/off switch!!!!!!!!

LP Hovercraft

That's really sad news.  He was a groove monster.  A true innovator of his instrument.  One of the all-time greats.    Because he fluently used bass pedals in addition to his hands, I'd say he did a damn sight more than a guitar player could do, anyway.  I caught him live the last time he was in Denver.  He was really funny in between songs, saying stuff like:  "Now we gonna play somethin funky for ya, it's gonna smell like dogsh*#-like the monkey that put its finger in its ass."  All that backed up by two leslie 122's (wired stereo?)  I'm pouring a 40 out as I write this. :cry: